David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35853
Property Name : Blue Rock Lake
Reservation Date : 04/14/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 LMB; 1 dink up to 6.25lbs
Lures Used : Buzzbait, Frog, Swimbait on Flashy Swimmer, Tx Rig

Fished Blue Rock for the first time Friday.  Weather was high 50’s to start warming up to high 70’s.  Water was clear with 4’ viz and was 70-72 degrees.  Wind started out calm around sunrise, but by 9am it started blowing out of the south and became strong and steady 15-20mph as the day progressed leading to white cap conditions on the exposed lake.  If you’ve fished Blue Rock you know there is a significant weed line from the shore that extends out 20-30 feet around the edge before the sharp drop off.  Much of the weeds were just under the surface or matted on top with a significant algae bloom covering all of it.  Any cast in, around, near, or over the grass meant you were cleaning slime off your lure every time.

The Fishing:  I started thowing a frog from the bank before getting in the boat because it just looked so fishy around the launch area.  I caught a nice one on my 3rd cast.  Nothing else from the bank, so I got out in the boat and continued to work the frog around the East side.  I got another couple of blowups but did not connect.  I switched over to a white buzzbait with a toad trailer, and my next fish was my new PB, a 6.25lber.  In short order her twin sister hammered the buzzbait, but she got off right at the boat (queue the heartbreak music).  I stuck with the buzzbait as my primary weapon of choice for the rest of the day even when the wind came up and it made controlling the cast a challenge.  I picked up a couple on a Tx rigged Rage Bug and a 4.8 paddletail on the flashy swimmer, but the buzzbait did the real damage.  After a short break for lunch, I walked the shore with the buzzbait and got three before launching again to continue battling the wind.  I finally had enough of that battle around 4:30pm, so wrapped things up early.  Overall, I got the big one over 6lb, one at 4.5lb, two at 3.5lb, and the rest around 2lb except for one dink at the end.  As usual, the owner dropped by to check on me to make sure I was enjoing the day.  He offered to let me finish the day at Salt Lick if I thought the wind might be easier to manage, but I declined the idea of unloading, loading, unloading, etc… Thankful as always for the opportunity to fish great properties like this one.

Apr 15 2023

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Gratz brother on the PB! Nice stringer.  

Mark

Apr 15 2023

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the PB David, can’t beat big fish on topwater!