John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35334
Property Name : Backside of the Moon Lake
Reservation Date : 03/06/2023 All Day - 03/06/2023 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 12 2-5lbs
Lures Used : Swim baits and Chatterbait

Fished with Steve Scanlon on Backside of the Moon Monday the 6th. I got 8 fish and Steve got 3 or 4. 
my first fish was early at 5lbs. Also had a couple of 4’s and 3’s along with several smaller. Lake looks good but needs water. Clarity is better that it looks for a turbid water lake. Just another day for the fish, no matter what we perceive. Swim baits the bass’ choice for the day with one of my 4 pounders in a chatterbait. Lost 4 fish between 4-5 pounds at the boat via might head shake and me thinking I stuck them better than that. Water temp 58 early to 63 late. Fish seemed to like the east side. The bigger the boulder the more they liked it.  3-5 foot was their depth choice. I found a large flat boulder that produced fish off n on every time I pulled up to it. Nothing off that underwater point mid lake. I tossed a marker on it and worked it on top and both sides. Both me n Steve had fish run and we couldn't get a hook set. After Steve left I tossed a swimbait up by a boulder and hooked one of those mysterious fish. It was mondo crappie. Jumped like a bass and lost the hook. Had to be over 2 ½ pounds, mondo size. Steve feel free to add your adventure. 

A note about this lake:

The bass (and evidently the crappie) eat carp they can fit in their mouth. Keep that in mind when choosing you lures. 

The road to the lake:  

Thanks Josh and Tri for you input about the road. Thanks Scott W and Steve for your concern and keeping watch per se. I have a Hyundai Sante Fe. It is classified as an SUV, but in reality it is a glorified soccer mom car. Clearance better than a car but not like a Ranger. I did make it just fine. The road is rough and challenging for such like I have, but doable if you are experienced. Take your time and crawl through the “mountain pass”. If one has to keep their vehicle all prissy prissy, then this is NOT the lake to come to. You will miss out on some of the most scenic natural Texas landscape, touched very little by man, outside of a state park. It is an awesome place to come to. I will be going back for sure. There are single green metal posts marking the path, a couple had reflectors. One had a PWF sign as well. Do not just rely on gps, rely on yourself. Study aerial shots (Apple maps, google, and Bing are really good shots) and study the path really well. Going in you are descending, ascending coming out. More challenging coming out. I got to use my sport shift and kept in in 1st one I went into the trees. 
Sorry for the lengthy post. Tight lines all. Spring bassing on the horizon!

Mar 08 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Fun lake and an adventure for sure – glad you and Steve made it through ok, despite the recent rains.  

Mar 08 2023

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

John,

What a great report. Thanks for being so thorough. The pictures are a great touch. So appreciative of posts like this one!!!

Thanks

Steve

Mar 08 2023

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

John,

What a great report. Thanks for being so thorough. The pictures are a great touch. So appreciative of posts like this one!!!

Thanks

Steve

Thanks Steve, that lake has been on my list since day one of becoming a member. An adventure to a beautiful place for sure. Will be going again by summer for sure.