Bruce Prindle

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 35316
Property Name : Hidden Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/06/2023 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14 to 3 lbs
Lures Used : Toads, jerks, bladed jigs

The lake was a mirror for the first hours and East Texas Scud hovered until late morning.  It could not have been more comfortable fishing weather.  As the light grew, it was abundantly clear that pollen bloom was in full force.  When the breeze picked up in the afternoon, it wasn’t as apparent, but the water surface was COVERED with pollen (and yes, my sneezing confirmed the fact!)  Fish were shallow but hesitant.  Most fish were thin, and had no females online all day.  

But the story is about wiring.  I changed batteries and realized too late that my connector no longer fit the larger battery posts.  A quick trip to walmart to rewire cost me some time on the water.  Once that was done, the day was uneventful until the end.  I was at the dam and started to high speed it to the upper end for the late bite.  I was just passing the launching ramp at that end when my 25 year old trolling motor quit.  I assumed I had blown the fuse. So I juggled around the cluttered bottom of my pond prowler and took on a contortionist pose to reach for the fuse.  I popped it out and it was fine.  Now I was really in a pinch.  I plugged the fuse back in and moved forward again.  I checked and rechecked connections, but no power to the trolling motor.  Fortunately the lake was glassy again and I started rowing. It’s a long way back to the upper end ramp.  

I kept comforting myself, “25 years is a long time for a trolling motor. . .” but my workout on the oar still left me disgusted.  I unloaded all my gear and was disconnecting the battery when I looked at the wiring.  It dawned on me: I had checked the fuse for the depth finder, not the trolling motor!  I quickly popped open the fuse holder—and found the fried 30 amp fuse!  And I began to laugh at myself.  Relieved that my trusty Minnkota was alive and well, I laughed at the sight of me rowing from the other end of the lake, right before I popped two Alieve in anticipation of how sore I woudl be in the morning.

Moral of this story: check ALL the fuses before you row!  :) 

Mar 07 2023

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

And they say Fishing isn’t exercise. 

Mar 08 2023

Joseph Alfe

Fry

Number of Posts :

Now you know why many fisherman are heavy drinkers!

Mar 31 2023

Richard Mccarty

Fry

Number of Posts :

I think I've done something similar that a couple hundred times.

Apr 01 2023

John Freeman

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Had a wiring snafu on my little boat. Wire broke at back for the trolling motor, and it fell inside. I used jumper cables from my car to get me through the day. Also ruined a pair of nice fine wire wire cutters stripping 16g wire on another snafu.