Brian Dumont

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34987
Property Name : Kawakita Deloach Ranch
Reservation Date : 02/07/2023 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 20 bass, 4 crappie
Lures Used : 1.0 cranks, deps scat, dark sleeper, spinner bait, bitsy jig

Myself and another member were very excited about the new lake in Taylor. We live in north Austin, and it's very nice to see new spots out this way. Got there about 0630 and tried to make our way down to the water. The directions are good, but the access road to the water is blocked by 2 conex boxes. I'm not one to drive off road on someone's property with out talking to them first. Remember it was still kind of dark at that time. Once the sun came up a little bit, we could see a path thru the grass to the side of the boxes. No issues finding the ramp after that. The write up from PWF was spot on, cat tails all over the lake making bank fishing hard. So bring your trolling motor, and battery.  We used the on site john boat and it did the job perfectly fine. I believe it's a 10fter, the only issue is the transom is worn out. Texas weather and termites have definitely takin a toll on it. There is a very large dock at the ramp aswell, but the wood is also worn out. I've fished alot of sketchy docks, and this one is no different... Stay to the sides and don't walk in the middle of any piece of wood till its repaired. Now the fishing report, 🤣.  Being new to this lake we mostly made laps around the edges trying to figure them out. No fish came from the dam side, all were in the shallow flats and points off deep water.  1.0 cranks caught just about everything,  but the larger fish came on the mighty dark sleeper. (Including an absolute unit that came off right at the boat) Best fish of the day in the boat was 3.5ish pounds. We definitely hammered those buckets on this trip and will be back in the near future. I almost for got 4 double ups!!! Epic!!

Feb 10 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work! – for some reason, I can’t get any action on the dark sleeper, but everyone I know who uses it has success.  User error and such.  Same with the poop stick bait. /shrug. 

Feb 11 2023

Brian Dumont

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice work! – for some reason, I can’t get any action on the dark sleeper, but everyone I know who uses it has success.  User error and such.  Same with the poop stick bait. /shrug. 

Sorry to hear that sir, the poop is no different than a texas rig, just remember to hop it and leave some slack in the line.. The bait moves backwards on the fall.. The dark sleeper is a separate beast.. I like the 3/8 3inch ones, and throw it on my heavy flipping rod.. Hop it , let it fall, Hop it let it fall… then set the hook HARD for the best results… lmk if you ever want to rip some lips, im down to meet more of the PWF squad 🦅

Feb 11 2023

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Brian Dumont

Sorry to hear that sir, the poop is no different than a texas rig, just remember to hop it and leave some slack in the line.. The bait moves backwards on the fall.. The dark sleeper is a separate beast.. I like the 3/8 3inch ones, and throw it on my heavy flipping rod.. Hop it , let it fall, Hop it let it fall… then set the hook HARD for the best results… lmk if you ever want to rip some lips, im down to meet more of the PWF squad 🦅

fair enough – as for fishing, I’m in the Dallas area but do make it down to the Austin area on occassion. I’ll hit  you up as my plans for the year come together. 

tight lines!

Feb 11 2023

Brian Dumont

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

fair enough – as for fishing, I’m in the Dallas area but do make it down to the Austin area on occassion. I’ll hit  you up as my plans for the year come together. 

tight lines!

😎 lmk

Feb 13 2023

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Brian, thank you for another great report!  This lake will be a good one, we’re excited to add it for our Austin area members.

The owner is aware of the transom on the boat and has a plan to resolve, we appreciate the feedback!

Feb 13 2023

Brian Dumont

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Brian, thank you for another great report!  This lake will be a good one, we’re excited to add it for our Austin area members.

The owner is aware of the transom on the boat and has a plan to resolve, we appreciate the feedback!

No problem Scott, PWF squad 4 life!!!