Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 34086
Property Name : Frannies Lake
Reservation Date : 10/20/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6 LMB incl. 4 culls and a large Crappie
Lures Used : Senko and Ned Rig

First, place is great and very well maintained, easy to get to and easy to launch boat. Saw a lot of wildlife and it is a very quiet place – no cars or even airplane noise. Guest (friend from high school) and I had a tought day on the water. Following the cold front and having blue bird skies didn’t help matters. Water temp started out at 65 and rose to 68. We could only coax the few we caught with a senko or Ned rig. Didn’t want any moving baits except first one on a popper early morning.  Two of the fish we culled had a fungus or something on them - see pic.  We’ll be back in the Spring.  

Oct 28 2022

Shane A. Beck

Fry

Number of Posts :

This is such a great lake, I hate to hear anything stressing the fish! Have the staff at PWF commented, or been made aware, on this condition? 

I know earlier in the year some reserviours in East Texas had a common bacteria/fungal outbreak but Im not sure on the final determination / cause / treatment.

Shane

Oct 28 2022

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Shane A. Beck

This is such a great lake, I hate to hear anything stressing the fish! Have the staff at PWF commented, or been made aware, on this condition? 

I know earlier in the year some reserviours in East Texas had a common bacteria/fungal outbreak but Im not sure on the final determination / cause / treatment.

Shane

Hi Shane, I believe PWF reviews all posting. I have not seen a response from them . 

Oct 29 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Chris Casner

Hi Shane, I believe PWF reviews all posting. I have not seen a response from them . 

Was a brutal summer - one where not having a fish kill and keeping relative weights over 85% is a net win.  Absent a fish kill, these are nothing to worry about IMO.  Might be mitigated by adding  redear if there is a snail issue causing this.  I'm sure ASF who I believe manages the lake is on top of it.  

Oct 29 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Lesssions, warts and ulcers are very common in large mouth bass. It is generally caused by a “stressor” like poor water quality, drought, parasites (like yellow grubs). Not a whole lot different than things that make other animals/humans sick. Stressful situation create the situation you are seeing here. Hard to know what caused the stress, but nothing to worry about. 

I see a fish or two in at least 25% of the electrofishing surveys we do. 

Oct 30 2022

Shane A. Beck

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Lesssions, warts and ulcers are very common in large mouth bass. It is generally caused by a “stressor” like poor water quality, drought, parasites (like yellow grubs). Not a whole lot different than things that make other animals/humans sick. Stressful situation create the situation you are seeing here. Hard to know what caused the stress, but nothing to worry about. 

I see a fish or two in at least 25% of the electrofishing surveys we do. 

Awesome info, thanks for the response!

Shane