Chris Harper

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33828
Property Name : Salt Lick Lake
Reservation Date : 09/17/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 13 total w/ largest 4.25 lbs
Lures Used : Swim Jig, Rattle Bait, wacky 6" Senko

I fished Salt Lick Saturday, 9/17/22, starting at 11:00 am and finishing at 6:30 pm. The water viz was about 24”, which is pretty stained for this spot. Not sure, but it looks like after all the rain recently, this tank is only down about 12 to 18 inches. The day started off slow, with the first four fish I caught all being culls. The plan was to junk fish by throwing all kinds of moving baits. I threw jerk baits, multiple topwater baits (buzz bait and walking baits), and crankbaits but no takers. I started off fishing around the trees that are part of the old dam in the east part of the tank. This area usually produces for me but not today. About 1:30 pm, I moved to the west bank and started getting bites on the swim jig and a drop shot. I had to give up on the drop shot because the bream were driving me crazy.

Around 3 pm, I started catching better fish by rotating between a Swim Jig and a Rattle bait, and when around cover, I would throw the wacky 6” Senko. The best fish of the day were caught on the Senko in the small cove just to the right of the ramp later in the afternoon.

I marked a map to show where I was getting fish. See pic. I think there were schools of fish out in the main body of the lake, but I didn’t have electronics, so I stayed fairly close to the weed edge and would cast out to the main body from time to time.

I spoke to Eric when I was leaving, and he said he added a bunch of 12” plus logs as structure to the North bank, but ironically I didn’t even try that part of the lake.

I had a great time, and I really appreciate the land owners and privatewaterfishing for making this happen.

Sep 19 2022

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the detailed report!