Rodney Schroeder

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33511
Property Name : Hidden Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 08/18/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : Culled 6 and returned 7 up to 4#
Lures Used : plastic worm and underspin

I probably have fished here more than any of the other PWF lakes.  The first trip was in 2010 and it was one of those lakes that you knew had potential but would be lucky to land a fish over 14” but could fill a cooler with 8-10 inchers.  Fast forward to recent trip and Laneville was picked to be my first lake to fish in retirement. When getting ready to reserve and checking the extended forecast for the area, and knowing we have not had appreciable rain in 2 months, I picked the day with a 60% chance but cooler temps to tempt Mother Nature.  It was cooler (low 90’s) and cloudy but unfortunately no rain.

Started at daylight and 87 degree surface temp with the never fail Pop-R but no action. Picked up the Texas rig and moved out to moss edge going into 8’ and started picking up a few small culls.  Switched to underspin in the same areas and had eaual success but all of the returnable size were on the underspin.

Sun came out of clouds around 2 and breeze died and so did the bite so loaded up with enough fish in the cooler for a meal or two and returning seven fish up to 4# that may have taken seven trips to catch 10 years ago. My last 2-3 thrips here have been returning more than culling. Another thing I noticeced is how dark all of the fish were making the name “Black Bass” appropriate. I don’t recall this being the case in the past.