Aug 09 2022

Tom Jones

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33439
Property Name : Fossil Rock Farms
Reservation Date : 08/08/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 fish to 4 lbs max, most 2-1/2lbs…2@13, 1@14
Lures Used : Tried hollow body, single prop foot very early…maybe 2 hits, no hookups, switched to white weighted seedless swim bait … caught all fish on this bait…

The Plus: Overcast early, low eighty's at dawn. Only needed to survive till noon…(6 weeks of 100+ Temps and no rain)

The Difficulties: Had no specific route to the ramp, so much dirt work, finally saw a kayak next to a super steep ramp. I had to use 4W drive LOW to get back up after dropping my mini pontoon off into a well excavated hole at the base of the “ramp” (NO GRAVEL YET!)...but anyway was able to get the unloaded trailer back up...barely! Then we faced the issue of being almost landlocked to the little pool at the ramp… motored across the little pool and jumped into 8” of water and walked the boat to the channel in the middle of the cove that was 2-1/2’ deep… climbed back in and chopped our way to open water using my wonderful 24V, 70 lb thrust trolling motor held manually right on the surface where it could noisily chop through some really vile alge/weed mats… then it was off to the races with two twin Zebo33 wielding 12 year old beginners and a very patient dad as helper/problem solver… The lake was down a couple of feet which made it very small as far as fishable water was concerned… nonetheless miraculously the boys each caught a few fish, one being the 4lb fish of the day. Except for the 3 culls, all my fish were very clean, very thick, generally beautiful and well fed… This day was a plus for me in that I got to introduce a couple of boys to sport fishing for bass and they were fully engaged and successful enough to be return bass hunters. They will be blown away next time when we have autumn conditions and a full lake… Getting back out was far easier than getting in because I didn't have to get the truck very close to the end of the ramp in order to hook on and winch the boat up… Right now this lake should be avoided unless you are a stubborn kayaker. Since I live 45 minutes away, I have fished this water at least a dozen times over the years… I keep coming back because I regard it as a better value that Cody Ranch, which I also fish on a regular basis. Today was just a test of the will to even make a cast… but I'll be back because I know great memories will be made at Fossil Creek when the weather starts to behave...😊

Aug 12 2022

Shane A. Beck

Fry

Number of Posts :

Is there another launch location option you would recommend? Im booked there mid September and dont use a trailer. Please let me know your thoughts.

Shane