Lures 2, Fish 1*, Snakes 6

Aug 02 2022

Keith Barfield

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Member Danny Renfro and I finished Tara on Saturday, July 30 from his Sun Dolphin. Bass Forecast called for a 8.4, “good” day. Milder temps made it relatively comfortable on the water. Early morning rains cooled it down a bit.

Lake was down 3 to 4 feet and water was stained at 1 foot visibility.  We threw everyting in the box.  

From 7am to noon: zero fish, zero bites. Well, I’m not counting the 5 lb. bass that literally JUMPED into the boat in the shallow cove across from the launch. Danny must’ve scared the fish with the trolling motor and he secured it between his legs as it flopped around the boat. Best “catch” of the day!

Danny had enough and left at noon. Smart man. I was too stubborn to quit!  After lunch I fished from the bank for a bit. First cast, I threw a buzzbait & broke off the braided line and watched it sail away. Retied a big stick worm. Two casts later, I snagged the broken line and retrieved my buzzbait!  Lure #1.

I loaded up the club boat and fished solo the rest of the day. As I approached the steel pier across from the launch, I see a big crank bait floating. It was Danny’s he lost that morning. Lure #2.

Similar to prior reports, we counted six snakes for the day. They didn’t bother us, we didn’t bother them.

I caught one dink at 4:30 and called it quits at 5. Tara won this day, but we will try again. Long day, but still enjoy the chance to fish for lunkers at a premium property. How many can say they caught more baits than fish. Crazy day for sure!

Anyone else have any “fish jumping into boat” stories?  I wish I had a video, but we were too busy laughing.

Great to see others had a productive day on Saturday.

*Excludes Danny’s foot fish!

Aug 02 2022

Danny Renfro

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I think the condition’s were right,  I think it’s the condition of the lake.  When we arrived we seen hundred’s maybe thousand’s of shad and other baitfish on top of the water, but they were just sitting there.  You could reach down and touch them with your hand, and they wouldn’t even swim off like they were scared, they just kind of slowly swam off.   

I’m not trying to speak on something I don’t know, but maybe with that lake  already being shallow, and the water level being so low it seemed like the oxygen level was low??  I just knew when we seen all those shad, and bluegill on the surface, and not any bass chasing them  I knew it was going to be a tough day.

Aug 03 2022

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Danny Renfro

I think the condition’s were right,  I think it’s the condition of the lake.  When we arrived we seen hundred’s maybe thousand’s of shad and other baitfish on top of the water, but they were just sitting there.  You could reach down and touch them with your hand, and they wouldn’t even swim off like they were scared, they just kind of slowly swam off.   

I’m not trying to speak on something I don’t know, but maybe with that lake  already being shallow, and the water level being so low it seemed like the oxygen level was low??  I just knew when we seen all those shad, and bluegill on the surface, and not any bass chasing them  I knew it was going to be a tough day.

Keith and Danny – that is just a CRAZY day of fishing! My goodness how funny! Thanks for sharing – sorry about the overall slow day though.

Mark