Michael Maresh

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33250
Property Name : Butler Lake
Reservation Date : 07/19/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 14 Total up to 20"
Lures Used : Fly Fishing - Bluegill fly

Definately the best day I’ve had on a PWF lake.  Brought my 18’ skiff and had no problem launching it from the concrete ramp.  Decided to devote the day to the fly rod and glad I did.  Caught total of 14, with 2 culled:  (2) 14”, (1) 16”, (4) 17”, (3) 18”, (2) 19”, (2) 20”.  Heaviest was 5.4 lbs.  The lakes bank edges have limited vegetation which is perfect for bass to ambush from.  Started day with a frog and caught the smaller fish.  Switched to a bluegill fly and stuck with it all day.  Casted to edge of weeds and worked back out to the boat.  Caught every fish that way. Finally left at 3:00.  103 degrees finally wore me out.

Jul 21 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great report. Unfortunately, we lost the lease at Butler Lake today. Michael’s trip was out last trip. We rarely ever lose a lease for anything other than, when a property sells to a new landowner and the new landowner is not interested in continuing. However, in this case the current family just felt the juice was not worth the squeeze. In other words we ain’t making enought money. The inconvenience of having folks on the ranch vs the income generated was not worth it. 

Our Houston membership is simply not as active as our other markets. If Butler lake had been in San Antonio, Austin and especially DFW makets it would have been 2x to 3x as busy. We have the same number of members and ratio to lakes in Houston as compared to Austin or San Antonio, but our Houston members, with the exception of 15-20 members are simply not very active. The good news for Houston members is that availability is crazy good. You rarely can’t get the lake you want, when you want. The bad news is its hard to find and keep good fishing spots in Houston. By far the hardest market!. Maybe I am too transparent on how things work. I don’t know? Hopefully, some of you will find transparency refreshing in a world of impersonal service. 

Houston get fishing!!!

Steve

Jul 25 2022

Michael Maresh

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Great report. Unfortunately, we lost the lease at Butler Lake today. Michael’s trip was out last trip. We rarely ever lose a lease for anything other than, when a property sells to a new landowner and the new landowner is not interested in continuing. However, in this case the current family just felt the juice was not worth the squeeze. In other words we ain’t making enought money. The inconvenience of having folks on the ranch vs the income generated was not worth it. 

Our Houston membership is simply not as active as our other markets. If Butler lake had been in San Antonio, Austin and especially DFW makets it would have been 2x to 3x as busy. We have the same number of members and ratio to lakes in Houston as compared to Austin or San Antonio, but our Houston members, with the exception of 15-20 members are simply not very active. The good news for Houston members is that availability is crazy good. You rarely can’t get the lake you want, when you want. The bad news is its hard to find and keep good fishing spots in Houston. By far the hardest market!. Maybe I am too transparent on how things work. I don’t know? Hopefully, some of you will find transparency refreshing in a world of impersonal service. 

Houston get fishing!!!

Steve

Disappointing to hear. Certainly understand. Was a Great Lake. Wish I would have tried it sooner and fished it more.