Jul 05 2022

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 33128
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 07/04/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 38 bass 1 - 4 pounds
Lures Used : Frogs, Pompadour Jr, chatterbait, Pop R, Magnum Fluke, Bluegill swimbait, crank bait,

Celebrated Independence Day with my great friend Andy Bugh. He brought his fishing style kayak and me in my bass buddy boat. Started at dawn with light breeze, clear skies and mild temp. Water was 87 degrees and clear to 4’. 
Nothing was breaking the surface but that quickly changed when we started casting our frogs. Caught 6 in the first 30 minutes. Andy said he'd never landed a bass on a frog. I told him to turn the hooks to be under the frog, just stay out of the lotus pads. Game one! Then he switched to the trusty Pop R and kept on catching. I pulled 4 from the first brush pile north of the boat ramp with my large Pompadour Jr. 

The most productive lure all day for me was a dark colored Jackhammer Chatterbait with a Kitech trailer. Andy fished the same lure in white/chartreuse and got very few. 
We caught lots of 2-3 pound bass that were amazingly strong and aggressive. They strike hard and fight hard - 2 pounders with a 10 pound attitude! A 3-4 pounder will turn your boat around! 
Our biggest were a couple of 4 pounders. The big girls alluded us. I was determined to catch a big one as this lake is said to hold some 9-10 pounders. I used a 10” A C Plug, 8” glide bait, 10” red shad Berkeley power worm, and Magnum Fluke. No luck. 
The surprise of the day was catching the biggest crappie I've ever seen (14”) on the chatterbait. We took it out along with 6 undersized bass. The catch rate slowed as it got hotter so we quit around 2:30. Catching 38 bass in 7 hours of fishing was great fun with a great friend. 
For a fine outing go to Deer Trail and be on the water by dawn. You'll be rewarded with some of the best topwater fishing in the club and take a friend or a kid with you. They will have a blast. We always do there.