John Shepard

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32991
Property Name : Heartbrand Ranch
Reservation Date : 06/16/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 ; all 16-18"
Lures Used : wacky stick worm

I couldn’t duplicate prior success in a morning of fishing beautiful Heartbrand Ranch.  I obviously didn’t offer the bass what they wanted (well, it really seemed they weren’t in much of a wanting mood).  Starting under overcast skies and a light breeze, I circled the lake and tried a wide variety of baits.  No topwater action.  Nothing on chatterbait, flukes, spinnerbait, dropshot, shakey head, or swimbait. One bass on a squarebill.  The other eight bass were all caught on wacky-rigged stick worms, most in the northern “fingers” area. Each bass was 16-18” and full-bodied and their fights were typically long hard runs without any jumping. These are pretty impressive rod-benders for their size. As I completed my circuit of the lake, I skipped my last cast into the shade under the dock and the line didn’t stop leaving the reel.  I set the hook and had a long and vigorous tussle with a 10-lb blue catfish.

In addition to fishing, I was able to enjoy watching the cowboys and cowgirl working cattle on horesback, met twice with the owner, and watched deer and wild turkeys wander around the lake.