Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32923
Property Name : Cassidy Farms
Reservation Date : 06/09/2022 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 38 to 31/2 lbs
Lures Used : worms,flukes and wacky

Fished with another member Thursday morning.. This was my first time to Cassidy since the property became available again. We arrived right at first light and were not able to locate the lake without a lot of looking around. The lake is in good shape., down about 1 foot from the prior high water mark, visibility of 18” and the vegetation is not a problem. The path to the lake and dock is well maintained.

We caught 38 bass and had many get off earily. Most were 2 lbs to 3 ½ lbs and not a single one a dink.We used plastics and color nor style  matted. Mostly fished along the grass lines and out about 10 yards Fished weightless to 1/8 oz .

Many bream pecks and landed 4 hugh ones on the plastic worms

Jun 11 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

How was the lyngbya?  When I fished it earlier there was a fair amount of it, though it wasn’t terrible. 

Jun 11 2022

Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

How was the lyngbya?  When I fished it earlier there was a fair amount of it, though it wasn’t terrible. 

The vegetation was not a problem fishing with plastics both weighted and unweighted.  A crank bait would have been an issue.

Jun 15 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Glad you know the difference betwenn lyngba and filamentous. 99.9% would not. 

Jun 15 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Glad you know the difference betwenn lyngba and filamentous. 99.9% would not. 

I wish I didn’t – I’ve tried to learn everything about it to get rid of it on our lake.  Fun facts about it:

1. It basically eats phosphorous. 
  2. Fun fact about phosphorous – your water test can show 0 or low and you still have alot of it in the soil.  Almost like chlorine levels in a pool vs free chlorine. It builds over time and then you hit a point where the lyngbya will grow in. 
  3. Phosphorous arises because of run off from agro sources and from livestock.
  4. Lyngbya likes like to cover the bottom and seal to the ground so that it blocks sunlight. The absence of sunlight causes metals etc to release more phosphorous
  5. There is some disagreement about whether tilapia eat it.  Studies have suggested they don’t, but certain biologists say they do.  IMO the large and continuous nesting of tilapia displaces lyngbya so it can’t grow and seal the bottom. 
  6. Pickerel and pond weed will displace lyngbya over time.  Pickerel might release a chemical that wards it off and kills it (running theory). 
  7. Lyngbya sucks, other filamentous algae is way more manageable. 

Jun 16 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

I wish I didn’t – I’ve tried to learn everything about it to get rid of it on our lake.  Fun facts about it:

1. It basically eats phosphorous. 
  2. Fun fact about phosphorous – your water test can show 0 or low and you still have alot of it in the soil.  Almost like chlorine levels in a pool vs free chlorine. It builds over time and then you hit a point where the lyngbya will grow in. 
  3. Phosphorous arises because of run off from agro sources and from livestock.
  4. Lyngbya likes like to cover the bottom and seal to the ground so that it blocks sunlight. The absence of sunlight causes metals etc to release more phosphorous
  5. There is some disagreement about whether tilapia eat it.  Studies have suggested they don’t, but certain biologists say they do.  IMO the large and continuous nesting of tilapia displaces lyngbya so it can’t grow and seal the bottom. 
  6. Pickerel and pond weed will displace lyngbya over time.  Pickerel might release a chemical that wards it off and kills it (running theory). 
  7. Lyngbya sucks, other filamentous algae is way more manageable. 

You know more about that I do. I know lyngba is very, very hard to kill. 

Jun 16 2022

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

You know more about that I do. I know lyngba is very, very hard to kill. 

Always hated that stuff in Monticello and Fairfield.