Fun, Windy Day at Frannies and of course, lost the big one

May 20 2022

Ryan Sipe

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31965
Property Name : Frannies Lake
Reservation Date : 05/18/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 25 LMB, Mostly 2.5-3.5lbs. Largest 4.4lbs.
Lures Used : Topwater, Chatterbait, jerk bait, swim jig

Clearly I am a magnet for wind on the few days I can fish, so beware PWF members if you ever wish to fish a day with me, you’re bound for some gusty weather!  I had to reschedule my first trip to Frannies in May and was exctied to try out this property; needless to say it did not disappoint.

Got to the property at sunrise and it was a pretty drive in with a few deer running across the access road.  Temperature was 76 degrees with a steady 12 mph wind ad mostly cloudy skies.  Decided to try a few topwater casts from the weedline on the dock before I launched.  First cast to the right side of the dock had a slap on the plug.  A few casts later I moved to the left side and first throw a 3lber inhaled the bait as soon as it twitched.  

Jumped in the boat and worked the weedline on the right side of the property with a topwater plug.  Caught 5 total in the first 30 minutes.  The wind kicked up quickly and the topwater bite faded fast.  There were plenty of blowups around the lake and even a few aerial bass, so I think if the wind had stayed down, it would’ve been a big topwater bite.

Switched to the chatterbait and had a few along the leftside channels.  Fish were very quick to hit the chatterbait, usually within the first few cranks.  Had an easy 6lber at the boat, got anxious trying to lip her, gave a little too much slack and alas she became a fishing tale!

Continued to work all shores and points having to anchor down because the wind hit nearly 20mph by 9am.  Went to the large reeds section directly across from the dock and started long casting with the wind.  Caught 8 fish in 20 casts, 5 over 3lbs.  As read in other reviews, the fish here give an aerial show despite trying to keep them down and once they see the boat, they lose their mind.  Many fish well out pulled thier weight which made for a fun fight.

The sun popped out at 11am and the bite really slowed from there.  Caught a few more in random spots, but nothing of a pattern.  Hopped off at 2pm with a total of 25.

Beautiful property and know with less wind and not having to steady anchor, the totals will be much larger in the future.  Fun days like this on the water made the 2 hour drive from Dallas well worth it; thank PWF!