Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32434
Property Name : Trinity Lakes
Reservation Date : 05/07/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 55 LMB: 50 2.5lbs or less; 5 under slot
Lures Used : swimbait, wacky-rigged senko, whopper plopper

My middle kiddo and I fished all three lakes, but Arrowhead produced the most fish and fun! Started the morning off the dam at Arrowhead and he landed several fish on a whopper plopper. He's been dying to try one since he saw a video of it. Great fun seeing topwater blow ups! 

Moved to Goose mid morning and had the most success on wacky rigged senkos. Also had success on swimbaits with and without flashy swimmer. After lunch in town, we returned to Arrowhead to fish the mid lake timber and swimbaits with a smidge of chartreuse spike-it on the paddle tail was money! 

Decided to give Comanche a try, but we the action was slow and the fish were small so we returned to Arrowhead and finished out the day. If you're looking for a numbers lake with plenty of bank to fish, this is a great property! 

May 08 2022

Paul Barner

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Way to go Merlin and son! All your planning seems to have worked to perfection. Nothing like a great day on the water with kids when you are catching.

May 09 2022

Jordan Massey

Fry

Number of Posts :

How was the water level at Arrowhead and Gose?

May 09 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Paul Barner

Way to go Merlin and son! All your planning seems to have worked to perfection. Nothing like a great day on the water with kids when you are catching.

Paul, it definitely makes for a memories. I'm thankful to you and Greg for the info in your fishing reports and in your responses to my questions! 

May 09 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Jordan Massey

How was the water level at Arrowhead and Gose?

Jordan, this was my first time at Trinity so I don't have previous experience for comparison. However, I'll attach a photo of the dam area on Arrowhead for a visual. It seemed lower than Goose and Comanche. Hope that helps

May 10 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work super dad!  

May 12 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice work super dad!  

Thank you, Joshua! Now it’s time to put my oldest on some serious fish. Any lakes you recommend?

May 13 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Merlin Talley

Thank you, Joshua! Now it’s time to put my oldest on some serious fish. Any lakes you recommend?

My 2 cents:

1. Cassidy Farms has a bunch of 2-4lb fish with some nearing 5 – still catch a bunch, but the numbers are still there.  No boat, but the entire lake is pretty much fishable from the bank. Lyngbya was a bit of an issue when I fished it a month or so ago. 
  2. Pecan Gap has some serious fish, but the lake can be really fickle. I’ve caught 2 or 3 some days and had one stellar day.  
  3. Blackhat has some good fish – haven’t been in a while so don’t know what the lake looks like at the moment.  Can get grassy, but is shallow and relatively easy to fish. 
  4. The Athens lakes have some good 5’s that are catchable. 
  5. Frannies has the current best numbers/size combo of any lake IMO.  
  6. Culpepper has some decent ones in it and limited grass. 

I keep a log here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rhp5Rzv-C-ZNBgdmAQ17aTMkqBjdWKd_sBLube6jO5o/edit#gid=0

Haven’t fished as much this year because I’ve been working on our club lake and fishing Fork/Cedar Creek/Welch a fair amount.  

May 15 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

My 2 cents:

1. Cassidy Farms has a bunch of 2-4lb fish with some nearing 5 – still catch a bunch, but the numbers are still there.  No boat, but the entire lake is pretty much fishable from the bank. Lyngbya was a bit of an issue when I fished it a month or so ago. 
  2. Pecan Gap has some serious fish, but the lake can be really fickle. I’ve caught 2 or 3 some days and had one stellar day.  
  3. Blackhat has some good fish – haven’t been in a while so don’t know what the lake looks like at the moment.  Can get grassy, but is shallow and relatively easy to fish. 
  4. The Athens lakes have some good 5’s that are catchable. 
  5. Frannies has the current best numbers/size combo of any lake IMO.  
  6. Culpepper has some decent ones in it and limited grass. 

I keep a log here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rhp5Rzv-C-ZNBgdmAQ17aTMkqBjdWKd_sBLube6jO5o/edit#gid=0

Haven’t fished as much this year because I’ve been working on our club lake and fishing Fork/Cedar Creek/Welch a fair amount.  

Thanks for the great suggestions, Joshua! Already decided to fish Cassidy with my youngest kiddo as soon as the 2 adult minium has expired. Culpepper is on my list too. Frannies is on my “once I’ve saved up enough brownie points with my wife to spend than much money” list. LOL. And thank you for the spreadsheet! I love a good spreadsheet!!