The Wind Blew (the fish into my boat that is)

Apr 09 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 32006
Property Name : Cassidy Farms
Reservation Date : 04/08/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 42 up to 3lbs 14oz
Lures Used : Spinnerbait/Swim Jig/Green w Red Flake Craw

Got to fish Cassidy for the first time and this little lake can really put out some fish!  Absurd wind at times, but was able to make it work. 

1. On the water by 12:45 and off by 5:15.  
  2. Didn’t bother with electronics as I didn’t want to mess with itbut the water was 60+, water clarity was pretty mixed with the wind but viz to about 3 feet. Wind was howling at times upwards of 30mph.  
  3. There is a signficant amount of lyngbya in the water that you have to work through.  There is also a bit of otter sign (a few dead fish with crushed skulls, poop w scales definitive otter tracks) fwiw. 
  4. Walked the lake for the first 1.5 hours with good success pitching a spinner bait and burning it close to the top.  Worked the North end (towards the house) and caught a good group of fish roaming that shallow end). 
  5. The wind didn’t let up, so I hopped in the skiff armed with my 30lb dumbell anchor.
  6. Worked the edges by dropping anchor and fan casting.  When I found eel grass, I found good fish, but I caught them all over.  Most concentrations were on the rounded ‘points’ that had eel grass. 
  7. Lake seemd really shallow.  I can’t recall dropping in any more than 6 feet of water. 
  8. Water was down a bit from its normal it looked like. 
  9. Beds were easy to spot though I couldn’t effectively bed fish with the lygnbya/wind.  Running a spinner bait or swim jig over the top was the most successful. 
  10. After all that talk about line durability in the discussion forum, I screwed up and had my drag too tight on my favorite swimjig and lost a really nice fish.  
  11. Fish all fought very hard for their weight classes.  No dinks. 
  12. Several of the fish had fresh hook marks in their mouths – hallmark of lure vulnerable bass!
  13. Was really easy to get to from the highway and an easy property to fish.  Take your kids/guests/friends here!

Apr 11 2022

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

That’s a great day for only fishing half a day in gale force winds.  Well done!

Apr 11 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By David Felton

That’s a great day for only fishing half a day in gale force winds.  Well done!

Ty sir, fortunately I didn’t have to be accurate with casts and only had to burn it back/steady retrive back to the boat. 

Apr 13 2022

Joe V. Smith

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Where did you access the water to launch your skiff ? I used to fish this when it was Smith Ranch and the launch area was the other side ( chicken coup side ) 

Apr 13 2022

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joe V. Smith

Where did you access the water to launch your skiff ? I used to fish this when it was Smith Ranch and the launch area was the other side ( chicken coup side ) 

There is a jon boat out there next to the dock.  I launched in between the dock and the jon boat.  I can launch the skiff from pretty much anywhere because it rolls and it has a flat bottom.  Launch was on the yellow space, red space is where the boat was.  There is also a boat on the dock.  I don’t know that PWF can use either for reference. 

Apr 13 2022

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

There is a jon boat out there next to the dock.  I launched in between the dock and the jon boat.  I can launch the skiff from pretty much anywhere because it rolls and it has a flat bottom.  Launch was on the yellow space, red space is where the boat was.  There is also a boat on the dock.  I don’t know that PWF can use either for reference. 

The Jon boat is not operational. The large boat on the dock is not ours to use. You must bring your own small boat. 

Joe, we are accessing the property at a different gate and launching boats on the opposite side of the lake from where we use to with the previous owner. The current map on the website and your reservation reflects this change. Also, the fishing is still outstanding!!