Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31107
Property Name : Dogleg Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/17/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4, 12-15"
Lures Used : Super Fluke, TR worm

Arrived before sunrise and found the launch site. Coudy, breezy and a bit cold, about 55°. Water temp was 63°. The lake was low, maybe 4-5 feet. The low end of the ramp was out of the water. 

Tried topwater and nothing. With a little chop on the water and no sun yet, so I thought for sure we’d have some topwater action. Not today.

Switched to our usual lures – white/chartreuse spinner bait, chatterbaits, TR worm, super flukes, Senkos – only caught a few. Tried with no luck: silver jerk bait, diving shad crankbait, Baby 1 Minus shallow crankbait, crawfish colored crank.

Best areas were stickups across from the launch area and the east end of the dam. There are a lot of stumps and brush in those areas. The west and south west areas of the lake were shallow with several acres of the lake being exposed due to low water. Some of the vegetation looked good but much of it in shallow areas appeared to be winter damaged with brown and yellowish foliage. I’m sure with consistent warm weather it will bounce back.

The fish we caught were healthy and scrappy with great color, but no photo worthy fish caught this trip. One was under 12” and the others were over 14”. But the lake is very remote and quiet. We were serenaded by wild turkeys, geese and saw some deer and hawks. We even saw a raft of hed head ducks. They didn’t move much though. Stayed in one spot all day ;-)

There is a great spot for lunch near the boat ramp with tables, chairs and shade.

The small lakes northeast of the main lake were both completely dry. 

One last tip – if you are new to this ranch and arriving before sunrise, have your lake map and GPS open – it will be very helpful in finding the launch area.

Good luck and tight lines!

Mar 20 2022

Andrew Dear

Fry

Number of Posts :

By far my favorite lake. If you look at some historical imagry on google earth you can see on a low water year where an old gravel road goes across the upper 1/3 of the lake. Weve had a 7.5lb and an 8.75lb come off the deep water dropoff of that road….fantastic property!

Mar 20 2022

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Andrew Dear

By far my favorite lake. If you look at some historical imagry on google earth you can see on a low water year where an old gravel road goes across the upper 1/3 of the lake. Weve had a 7.5lb and an 8.75lb come off the deep water dropoff of that road….fantastic property!

Very cool – good info, Andrew. I shot aerial photos and video and can see the roads from overhead.