Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31108
Property Name : Heartbrand Ranch
Reservation Date : 03/16/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 26 bass up to 4.5 lbs and 3 large catfish
Lures Used : Z-Man Jackhammer Chatterbait and 5" white Super Fluke

Great weather just before a full moon. Sunny, light breeze and 65° water. Clarity minimal – 4-6 inches.

Launched around 11am, worked our way around the shoreline counterclockwise. The slew was interesting but no fish caught. The row of brushy stickups directly across from the boat launch produced a couple of 15-16” bass. Continued around to the large creek inlet at the northeast end of the lake and things really heated up. There are four “fingers” jutting into the lake and they all hold fish! 90% of the fish we caught were at and near the tips of those fingers. The smallest bass we caught was 14.5” long. We caught 26 bass total with almost half of them over 4 pounds! Biggest was 4.5 lbs. All but one was caught on a Z-Man Jack Hammer Chatterbait, white skirt with a chartreuse trailer. 

The water was very dingy with low visibility, probably due to the catfish. So noisy, flashy and vibrating lures should do the trick. The Jack Hammer sure did for us.

A bonus of sorts was the catfish. We weren’t fishing for them but caught 3, a 5 pounder, and 7 and a 10! All on chatterbaits and near the finger tips. The 10 pounder was the hardest, strongest fighting fish I’ve ever caught. It took both of us with pliers to get my gripper out of his mouth! We didn’t keep them so they are still there...

We met Jordan and his son. He mentioned the lake was drained and restarted in 2015, and the biggest bass he knows of caught there was about 7 pounds. A great friendly owner. 

If I’m in that area again I’d live to fish it again.

Mar 21 2022

Ford Rhodes

Fry

Number of Posts :

Z-Man does make a heck of a catfish bait! I truly love The thump you get fishing those things.