Jason Owens

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 31112
Property Name : Lost Creek Ranch
Reservation Date : 02/12/2022 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 40 fish up to 5-15.
Lures Used : Square bill, Chatter Bait

Fished Lost Creek with my brother and my son on Saturday 2/12.  We booked it about a week in advance and the weather was looking good.  But as the week progressed the forecast changed and we ended up fishing as a front blew in. 

We hit the water around 8am and everything was slick calm for about 10 minutes, then the wind started.  Weather app said 15mph but it seemed much worse, especially the gusts.  But we were committed by this point.  My son and I fished from the club boat while my brother fished from kayak.  The wind took away any sort of finesse technique.  We had a couple fish on Texas rig, but it didn't seem like the fish wanted the bait on the bottom.  Most of the catching was done on square bill crankbaits (red or shad color) and white chatter bait.   We ended up with about 40 fish for the day.  Most were between 1.5 and 2.5lbs with the biggest at 5lb 15oz.  Majority were caught around wood piles back in the creek arms.  Not much by the dam, but that's mostly because we couldn't fish it effectively in the strong winds. Even the creek arms offer little protection as they run North to South.  

We did have a little bit of a wake up call from way back in the east creek arm.  We were about as far back as you could go when a tree limb fell in the water about 10ft from the boat.  We quickly realized that being under a bunch of pine trees is probably not a good idea when the wind is blowing that hard. We immediately turned around.  

All in all it was a fun and successful trip.  I didn't expect great results under those conditions but this lake was impressive as always.  And fishing in these types of conditions really tests your equipment.  I have to say that a lithium battery, much like the PWF membership, is worth every penny.  In fact, if I were to put together an equipment kit for new members it would include a Tracker Marine Group 24 Lithium, Minn Kota Endura Max 45lb Thrust Trolling Motor and a Weedless Wedge prop. Those 3 things will handle just about any situation.