Salt Lick 01/18/2022 Had to work for them, but quality fish!

Jan 18 2022

Joseph Alfe

Fry

Number of Posts :

Hit Salt Lick. What a pretty location! I didn’t get on the water until close to noon, with bluebird skies, calm winds, and low 60’s temps. Salt Lick is a very deep quarry, with little shallows under 10’. There is a roadbed with standing trees in 15’ on the West end, so I started there. I was really flying blind with no electronics, but I’m a Northern boy used to fishing deep quarries. I started with a Ito Vision 110 then a deep Rapala Shadow Rap with no takers. Eric the land owner dropped by to see how I was doing and to make sure I had everything I needed. He mentioned that a few guys had caught over 100 Crappie, with some over 3# suspended off the trees. I switched to a Damiki Vault with a lift-fall retrieve near the bottom and had a solid strike then another which resulted in a stout fish around 16”. Switched to the fly rod with a full sink line and a deceiver streamer snaked along the tree edge with resulted in 3 fish around 3.5#, the fish in this lake are VERY STRONG! Around 3 PM, the wind came up and made holding position in the tiny 12’ difficult (the larger boat leaks badly, was reported to Eric). I started throwing an A-Rig along the windblown north shore just outside the trees. I had a solid hit and after a hard fight, I landed a very fat fish at least 7#. It’s hard to get a good perspective photo when you are solo, but she was big! A little later I started speed cranking a 6XD in the same area and got my last fish, a sow around 5#. Once I get electronics, I will be back for those Crappie!

Jan 18 2022

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Those are some really nice fish!  Thanks for the report on the boat, we are aware and hope to get it repaired soon.

Jan 18 2022

Joseph Alfe

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Scott Quigley

Those are some really nice fish!  Thanks for the report on the boat, we are aware and hope to get it repaired soon.

I inspected the bottom. There does not appear to be any holes or drag damage. It seems as if the rivets on the transom are leaking.

Jan 22 2022

Merlin Talley

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

You landed some good ones, Joseph! 

Mar 04 2022

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Merlin Talley

You landed some good ones, Joseph! 

Hi everyone, the owner got the boat repaired, should be all good there now.