Numbers and some decent ones at an awesome lake

Dec 12 2021

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Well, it was fun getting out on the water around 7:30 and got off at 3 PM.  It was chilly and the wind blew 15 mph with 30 mph gusts most of the day.  If we would have been in a small boat, I doubt we’d have had much fun.  We were able to put down the Raptors in almost every part of the lake and cover water.  It was brisk, but we were suited up and threw on the surgical gloves.  For anyone that fishes in the winter time, grab a box, they will surprise you.  Top 5 fish went for 20.2.   We boated 92, culled 68 and the two biggest were 6.23 and 4.98.   Overall, it was a very good day on a windy/cold post front day and we found a spot with my LiveScope that held close to 30 2-3 lbers and we nailed about 18 in a 45 minute period.  It was almost every cast.  

What worked:  LV500 (3-4 LB fish)/underspins (dinks to 2 LB)/WCZ Swimbait (6 LB)/squarebills (dinks)

What didn’t work:  Topwater

If you go out there and want the spot where we smoked them, shoot me a message and I’ll circle it on a map.  Using LiveScope and Mega 360 on the lake felt like cheating.  I’m guessing on a better weather day we would have caught some bigger fish.  I saw several that didn’t bite, but we definitely caught enough.

Dec 12 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work!  Was wondering if you used your live scope/360 to go into any of the back area past the islands in the areas I have marked in black.  Never really found anything back there but was curious if y’all might have.  

Dec 13 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

92 fish in 8 hours in December. You smoked em’. Great day. 

Dec 18 2021

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

92 fish in 8 hours in December. You smoked em’. Great day. 

Steve, we definitely smoked them.  I read that there are only bass after we got off the water and I saw several that were bigger than the 6lb I landed.  They were not tight to cover and kind of wandering in the deeper water, so I assumed they were catfish (they were also very large).   I guess I should have cast on it, I just rarely catch wanders and didn’t have an a-rig ready.  We’re heading back out there in January to do our part in culling all the little guys and see if we can’t locate the bigger ones.  Great lake and tons of fun.

Dec 19 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By William Butler

Steve, we definitely smoked them.  I read that there are only bass after we got off the water and I saw several that were bigger than the 6lb I landed.  They were not tight to cover and kind of wandering in the deeper water, so I assumed they were catfish (they were also very large).   I guess I should have cast on it, I just rarely catch wanders and didn’t have an a-rig ready.  We’re heading back out there in January to do our part in culling all the little guys and see if we can’t locate the bigger ones.  Great lake and tons of fun.

There are no catfish. Those were bass. I think we have had some high 8’s and or low 9’s caught to date. Hoping a few will push 10lbs this Spring. Great growth in 4 years. 

Dec 20 2021

William Butler

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

There are no catfish. Those were bass. I think we have had some high 8’s and or low 9’s caught to date. Hoping a few will push 10lbs this Spring. Great growth in 4 years. 

That’s what I get for not reading about the lake.  They were not moving much in an area with little to no grass.  I wish you guys had some hydrilla in there, but I guess it’s too shallow?