Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30554
Property Name : Long Lake
Reservation Date : 12/04/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 20+
Lures Used : Soft Plastics and various moving baits

I am trying to make my way around the various lakes in Wills Point and Long Lake was next on the list.  I ended up with over 20 for the day and a mixed bag of fish size. I caught everything from 7” dinks to a super chunk, and everything else in between.  (I don't know the exact count because I usually stop counting after the first fish, but caught fish from dawn to dusk around the entire lake.)

Mid 50’s to start the morning, cloud cover all day and a fairly mild day as far as wind is concerned.   With calm water and slight fog early a.m., I couldn’t resist throwing a junior size spook at the edge of the weed line right at the boat ramp.  Working real slow with long pauses I picked up two pretty quick.   Hopped in the club boat soon after and worked the lake clockwise. Aside from the early top water action, all of the fish were caught on either TRIG, Ned or Drop Shot. Throughout the day I tried mixing up the tempo by throwing square bill, lipless, finesse spinner (usually a safe backup), ½ oz spinner,  chatter bait, swim jig, and a hard jerk bait,  but no takers on the moving baits.  That was ok with me because I like working the bottom and really enjoy a TRIG bite.

It was a classic fall / December bite with no aggressive hits and soft and sluggish bites. At times the bite felt like I was pulling up a dead weed and that was when I set the hook.   Fish were stacked-up together pretty tight and would usually catch  2 or 3 out of a spot.  Mid way around the lake I worked a point for at least an hour and caught approx. a dozen. After finding some weeds and structure in deeper water (i.e. I snagged and lost a couple of Ned rigs) I worked that area with a drop shot.  Green neon pumpkin (roboworm) did the trick and the fish preferred a darker color versus the more natural shad pattern.  Ned Rig was equally successful throughout the day and for the most part I would dead-stick it, with subtle twitches on slack line.  The biggest fish of the day came on the Rage Craw and used a similar pattern of dragging, or short bounces off the bottom. Not sure what the world record is for catching the most fish on a single Rage Craw but I think I am a contender for the title. 

I got to talk to Eric around lunch time and really appreciate his dedication to fish management and ensuring the lakes experience continued growth in both size and numbers.  Overall, a great day on the water and glad the property is available to  the members. 

Dec 05 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work Mike! 

Dec 05 2021

Mike Nicoloff

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Nice work Mike! 

Thanks!