Friday, Nov 12th - Flying J, Sherman (Nursery Day at Flying J - so fun though!)

Nov 14 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Fellow PWFer, David Felton and I enjoyed our first visit to Flying J on Friday. We were blessed to have about 4 hours of relatviely calm conditions before the north wind started howling before noon and didn’t let up almost 5PM. The lake is exposed, but thankfully we knew the north wind would blow us right back to boat launch area LOL. Anyway, David and I had a great time – yeah, it was mostly a dinkfest – but who cares, we were out for the day and thoroughly enjoyed our time at this nice lake. The lake has a good layout with some flats, channels, drops, brush piles, and weeds/pads. We boated 125 willing bass. We landed a 4.1 lber early so that kept our interest up until the end. We also landed a 2.25 lber – and then a LOT of little guys. Our best baits were a shad/white squarebill, a shad paddletail, a bluegill chatterbait, and a green pumpkin z-craw. Also, caught a couple on a plopper, a jerkbait, a lipless, and a T-Rig. A good number of bites along the dam, the northwest corner of the dam, every brush pile/mesquite tree in 4 to 8 FOW, and a shallow flat along the west shoreline.

The boat is a great, deep, sturdy v-hull and the lake has easy access. Look forward to how a couple of years of harvesting and management will improve the quality of the bite here at Flying J. We had a great time and would definitely return!

Mark

Nov 14 2021

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Mark, you did a good job capturing the essence of the day, and you know 125 landed fish is by far my biggest numbers day.  But I can’t help thinking of what might have been considering the gusty winds kept us off the lake for probably 2 hours while we took a long lunch break and another mid afternoon break just to get out of the wind a bit.  I think 175 would have been easily within reach if the day had been a little calmer…hard to even imagine!  All in all another great day on a PWF lake with my good friend and fishing buddy.