Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 30328
Property Name : Trinity Lakes
Reservation Date : 11/07/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 6, 1 cull, rest 1-2lbs
Lures Used : swim bait, trap

Ok, I hate to admit this but here goes…. Started the day fishing the little lake off to the left. Got 2 keepers in 45 minutes and headed over to the grass lake. Caught 4 more and missed a big fish. As in it almost ripped my hand off the rod. I’ve fished this 3-4 times and most bass in what I call the grass lake are 1-3lbs. This was 5+ but never saw it. It ran me into a stump and hung me up. Decided to fish 10 more minutes and then head to the deeper lake. I’ve fished out of this jon boat before and it’s not as nice as most but still…. I must have gotten too far to one side, side dipped below the surface and it was all over in a second. I grabbed the 5 poles I had as the boat was filled with water in an instant. My poles/reels are good quality so had to save them. Grabbed the anchor rope and swam to shore. Bad thing is the boat is still anchored so I can’t just swim it back. My tackle boxes float so I went back in the water and swam them down. Now what to do with the boat. I attached the anchor rope to my truck and started pulling real slow. Made some improvement but the line snapped. Not surprising as it was soaked. Good thing is this freed up the anchor. I was able to get the boat over by the damn, get my TM and batter out, and then work it front and then back for 20 minutes before I could dump the water. Now I’ve got the boat clear but it’s 200 yds to the launch point. Had to wade through mud and thorn bushes but got the boat back in tact. Got all my gear and headed home soaked and embarassed. Had to clean all my reels but everyting survived including the TM. Missed most of the day of fishing but it could have been worse. So note to self be super careful in that old jon boat. The one on the other lake has higher edges and is wider. This one leaks to, so take a cup to bail, but I already knew that and was prepared. Just not for a entire boat filling with water. I did have a floatation device, but didn’t really need it. I’m a strong swimmer, but good to always have one. Least I was down by the damn and not the opposite end of the lake or not sure what I’d of done. 

Fish I did catch were mainly out in the channel. I had planned to come back last hour and try and grab some shallow. I threw shallow with swim baits and Owner Flashy but never got bit. I caught 2 on swim baits at the little lake and the other 4 were on a silver trap out in the channel as well as the bigger one I missed. 

Oh and super glad they are culling fish now. Last time I was out at the deeper lake maybe a month ago I caught. 75, but 55 were dinks. Went through 4 packs of swim baits to get to 20 2lbers. With proper management this will be a fantastic property. I think I’d have done better on larger fish if I had a graph but just blew my money on a Humminbird Live pre-order for my boat. 

Nov 08 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Thank you for sharing Greg, I know it sucked as the water isn’t exactly warm, but it is a good reminder that things happen on the water and we need to be prepared. – I’ve come close a couple of times and that boat specifically was the reason I finally got my ultraskiff after putting it off.  Glad you were able to get out without substantial loss. 

Nov 08 2021

Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Joshua Massoud

Thank you for sharing Greg, I know it sucked as the water isn’t exactly warm, but it is a good reminder that things happen on the water and we need to be prepared. – I’ve come close a couple of times and that boat specifically was the reason I finally got my ultraskiff after putting it off.  Glad you were able to get out without substantial loss. 

Yea, I really think that boat should be replaced. Now I mean I’ve fished that lake multiple times without issue and it was my fault. Just lost my balance a bit getting up to get to my tackle box. And I love that lake actually. But that boat is past it’s age. Leaks pretty bad. Front seat is disintegrating. Narrow. The other boat on the deeper lake is new and really in good shape. But I like fishing grass and the bigger fish are in that lake. Be nice if someone offered me a free day over there. I went through hell to get that boat back to the ramp. I could have left it sunk against the shore as I was by myself and soaking wet and have a bad back, but not the way I was raised. My back is reminding me I’m in my 60’s and not 40 anymore. How I flipped that boat to get the water out uphill against the damn standing in the mud I’ll never know. Guess I was so pissed off and I got my frustration out. 

Nov 08 2021

Charles McCallum

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Greg Wadley

Yea, I really think that boat should be replaced. Now I mean I’ve fished that lake multiple times without issue and it was my fault. Just lost my balance a bit getting up to get to my tackle box. And I love that lake actually. But that boat is past it’s age. Leaks pretty bad. Front seat is disintegrating. Narrow. The other boat on the deeper lake is new and really in good shape. But I like fishing grass and the bigger fish are in that lake. Be nice if someone offered me a free day over there. I went through hell to get that boat back to the ramp. I could have left it sunk against the shore as I was by myself and soaking wet and have a bad back, but not the way I was raised. My back is reminding me I’m in my 60’s and not 40 anymore. How I flipped that boat to get the water out uphill against the damn standing in the mud I’ll never know. Guess I was so pissed off and I got my frustration out. 

Greg, wow that sounds like my worst nightmare. I have a lithium battery I use for club boats and I'm always worried what would happen if I somehow flipped the boat.  Glad you got everything back and are safe!

Nov 08 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Hi Greg,

Ugh!! I hate that this happened to you. The boat is an older jon boat. We have spoken to the owner and the boat will be removed next week. We will be moving the the newer jon boat (2 years old) from Commanche to Arrowhead. So, no boat will be available at Commanche until we can locate a good one.

As a side note, there have been NO NEW wide (1236) jon boats for sale for almost 2 years. We like the TOPPER 1236 jon boats. This a boat that is 12 foot long and 36 inces wide at the bottom. However, none are available. About 2 years ago, we bought the last two from a tracker dealer in Abilene. Over the past 3 years we have scoured every Tracker dealer within 300 miles of DFW and been able to find about 6 boats. 

If anyone has a wide jon boat we are interested. The 12 foot wide seems to be a perfect size for our members. 14 foot boats can be too heavy for a single older member to move and 10 foot boats are too small. 12 foot is just about right. We prefer a 36” or 40” wide jon boat. The one that Academy sells are 32” and not was wide as we like.

We have put a lot of thought into a simple jon boat. 🤣

Nov 09 2021

Greg Wadley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Hi Greg,

Ugh!! I hate that this happened to you. The boat is an older jon boat. We have spoken to the owner and the boat will be removed next week. We will be moving the the newer jon boat (2 years old) from Commanche to Arrowhead. So, no boat will be available at Commanche until we can locate a good one.

As a side note, there have been NO NEW wide (1236) jon boats for sale for almost 2 years. We like the TOPPER 1236 jon boats. This a boat that is 12 foot long and 36 inces wide at the bottom. However, none are available. About 2 years ago, we bought the last two from a tracker dealer in Abilene. Over the past 3 years we have scoured every Tracker dealer within 300 miles of DFW and been able to find about 6 boats. 

If anyone has a wide jon boat we are interested. The 12 foot wide seems to be a perfect size for our members. 14 foot boats can be too heavy for a single older member to move and 10 foot boats are too small. 12 foot is just about right. We prefer a 36” or 40” wide jon boat. The one that Academy sells are 32” and not was wide as we like.

We have put a lot of thought into a simple jon boat. 🤣

Steve, I don’t know that I’d move that boat from the deeper lake. Month ago I caught 75 out of that deeper lake. Probably 55 were dinks, but did catch a lot of fish. 20 or so were around 2lbs but noticed now they are culling so that will help. I’ve fished that jon boat numerous times without issue. I do think long term it should be replaced but I hate to see one of those lakes without a boat. Course it’s not my call, but I hate to ruin things for others. 

Nov 09 2021

Charles McCarble

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Greg Wadley

Steve, I don’t know that I’d move that boat from the deeper lake. Month ago I caught 75 out of that deeper lake. Probably 55 were dinks, but did catch a lot of fish. 20 or so were around 2lbs but noticed now they are culling so that will help. I’ve fished that jon boat numerous times without issue. I do think long term it should be replaced but I hate to see one of those lakes without a boat. Course it’s not my call, but I hate to ruin things for others. 

Call my buddy Jason or Matt at Blake’s Boats in Corsicana. They are distributors for Lowes boats. I was lucky to find a brand new 12’ extra wide from them about 6 mos.ago when no one else had anything. Aluminum boats are selling for a huge premium but the good folks at Blake’s are very reasonable. Who knows… they may have something in stock or can get in a reasonable amount of time (may have to put your name on waiting list). Super nice folks, worked on my Triton bass boat when I lived on Richland-Chambers Lake.

Nov 09 2021

Charles McCarble

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCarble

Call my buddy Jason or Matt at Blake’s Boats in Corsicana. They are distributors for Lowes boats. I was lucky to find a brand new 12’ extra wide from them about 6 mos.ago when no one else had anything. Aluminum boats are selling for a huge premium but the good folks at Blake’s are very reasonable. Who knows… they may have something in stock or can get in a reasonable amount of time (may have to put your name on waiting list). Super nice folks, worked on my Triton bass boat when I lived on Richland-Chambers Lake.

Blake’s Boats

3720 Hwy.287

Corsicana, Tx.

903)8721292

Nov 10 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Charles McCarble

Blake’s Boats

3720 Hwy.287

Corsicana, Tx.

903)8721292

Thanks Charles. I spoke to Jason at Blakes boats yesterday. Unfortuantely, they are out of stock and the price for jon boats is up 45% in the past year. Most everything I have bought over the past year is up 20% to 50%. I have no idea how CPI is said to be 5%. EVERYTHING has gone way up!!!!

Nov 10 2021

Craig Awtrey

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Steve Alexander

Thanks Charles. I spoke to Jason at Blakes boats yesterday. Unfortuantely, they are out of stock and the price for jon boats is up 45% in the past year. Most everything I have bought over the past year is up 20% to 50%. I have no idea how CPI is said to be 5%. EVERYTHING has gone way up!!!!

Tracker has stopped production on the small jon boats.

There are some regional boat manufacters that make similar jon boats.

https://www.meyersboat.com/meyers/models/Fisherman

The Fisherman12 looks very similar to a Tracker Topper 1236.

There appear to be some available at various retailers online.

https://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=F-10-12&cartstatus=temp&custid=335041.4923