Oct 10 2021

David Felton

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29914
Property Name : Pecan Springs Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/09/2021 All Day - 10/09/2021 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 10 total/ 5#(1), 3#(1), 2#(1), 1#(2), rest dinks
Lures Used : Wacky Rig, Chatterbait, Tx Rig Worms, Swim Jig, Lipless, Buzzbait, Whopper Plopper, Paddle Tail w/ and w/o underspin, Fluke

Fished Pecan Springs for the first time and had one of my sons w/ me for his first time.  Water was stained w/ 2.5-3ft of visibility.  Fished from first light to sunset.  While we were loading up the boat and getting started it looked like it might be very promising with lots of blowups along the dam and out in the deeper water toward the dock.  Unfortunately, the results were indicative of things to come.  Other than one blow up and miss on a black buzzbait, could not get fish interested in topwater.  My son caught a couple of nice fish early along the far corner of the dam on the wacky rig including his PB of about 3bs.  Once the sun came up the wind picked up and we struggled w/ 10-20mph gusty winds all day long.  The fish were not cooperating either.  Other than some more bites on the wacky rig, and some misses on the Tx rig, they didn’t touch anything else I could think to throw at them.  We fished all along the edge but didn’t find them in the shallows around the grass edge.  Most of the grass along the edge and in the shallow end was dead/dying, so no wonder they were elsewhere.  We tried out deeper, but couldn’t find any takers there either.  I ended up with 3 for the day (2 dinks and a 1lber) using a fluke, and a Tx rig swimming worm.  My son got the rest all on the wacky rig. Then, just as we were working our way back along the dam area toward the ramp, my son hooked up w/ “the big one”.  Considering he was still using the wacky rig w/ light line it was a tense couple of minutes as I coached him how to play the fish out and let it take the drag.  I even almost fell out of the boat when he shifted his weight working the fish...talk about next level excitement.  I finally pulled myself up and got the net in time to help him land his 2nd PB of the day...a FAT 5lber that had a small catfish hanging halfway out of it’s mouth!!!  Suddenly all the tough fishing with not much to show for it faded in the glory and fist bumps and pride.  

Oct 10 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

Great story. 2 PB’s in the same day. And the 5 lber with a catfish!