Travis Franklin (Flower Mound)

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29984
Property Name : Briar Branch
Reservation Date : 10/09/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 bass 1-3 lbs
Lures Used : Fluke, weightless Senko

Me and Mark took an afternoon and decided to try our luck close to home. Air temp was 93 and water temp was about 80, but not officially measured. Wind was gusting to 20 and bluebird skies. This is a nice little lake with good bank access, although we didn’t really do any bank fishing. We launched “Tubby” (10’ plastic bass raider) and went to work. We started out throwing chatterbaits with no success. Then again it was about 1:30 in the afternoon, so we weren’t expecting them to jump in the boat with us. The grass was still pretty heavy throughout the lake so the only targets we could find were the edges of the weedlines, although later in the day I tried pitching a TX rig into the pockets of the grass with no takers. Anyway, after about 15-20 minutes of not catching a fish on a chatterbait, our ADD kicked in and we changed baits.

I had left a bag of 4 and 5 inch baby bass colored flukes in the truck and only had a bag of watermelon seed mag flukes that I had bought for Camelot Bell. (8”) in the boat. I put that giant thing on there kind of laughing and threw it. I barely got the reel clicked before I had a 2 pounder running away with it.  Mark had tied on a weightless Senko at the same time and that was the pattern the rest of the day. Either a fluke or a Senko. Dead stick. With that much wind, it’s really just trying to keep the slack out of the line more than working the bait. When they hit it, you knew.

By 5pm we had caught about 8 fish between us. About 6 the shadows started touching the lake and we found a few takers in the shady spots. Action picked up a bit with both of us catching 3-4 right before it started getting dark and we were off the water by 7. We would love to have caught 50 up to 7 lbs, but it is what it is, maybe next month. There didn’t really seem to be one part of the lake that was better than another. We caught them everywhere. All the fish were feisty and healthy, but none were big and fat from a fall feeding frenzy. It’s close to home, access is easy and we’ll certainly be back.