Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29472
Property Name : Five Finger Springs
Reservation Date : 08/15/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 33ish (lost count by the end) up to 2.3lbs
Lures Used : Frog/Pop-R/TRIG and Wacky Trick Worm

Got to fish Five Finger Springs for the first time this afternoon and had some fun with it.  After the mistakes I made at Travis earlier this week, it felt good to get some redemption and play Thanos (the Marvel antagonist that kills half the universe, an ode to culling more than half my fish). 

1. It was down right sultry this afternoon – mostly cloudy and humid.  My shirt was wet by the time I loaded the boat.  Water was 86ish and clear with a light green stain.  Mild wind that varied direction throughout the day and didn’t have much of an impact in positioning fish.  
  2. Fish were caught on every finger and pocket, no one in particular held better or more fish for the most part. I focused on shade, both over the water and what was under for the first part of the day with some success – there are really large boulders in various parts of the lake, and I bet on there being bass waiting in ambush in between them and on the shady sides, and I was mostly right. 
  3. I also found some fish under over hanging trees – with my best fish coming on a frog that I skipped into some nasty cover, and he exploded on it after a twitch.  I’ve gotten pretty adept with underhand frog skip and it has netted me two larger bass (at least for the lakes I was on) in spots I wouldn’t have gotten to a year ago.  
  4. There is an overabundance of aggressive yearlings in this lake – at Travis I didn’t downsize my hook, but I didn’t make that mistake here.  I used a trickworm, wacky and trig, with a 2o and was able to get a fair number of them, even when I didn’t want to.  
  5. I did manage a large (for the lake) fish on a magnum spook.  I wrapped my line on the hook by accident and was reeling it in and she killed it while I was reeling as it funkily rolled through the water.
  6. My best fish on average came on a frog, walked over weeks and next to boulders on the fingers of the lake as the fish waiting in ambush.   I only missed one on the frog today which is a much better hookup than I’m used to.  
  7. I did get several on a translucent(ish)/chrome combo Pop-R, a couple of decent fish as well, but mostly more culls. 
  8. I’ve recently switched to using a trickworm for my wacky setups.  It stays in the upper water column better and the skinnier profile seems to work better than the senko.  Both have their place, but with the super shallow water here, it worked well.  
  9. I tried a chatter bait with no luck, I used a spook off and on, and got a couple on the bone color, but the Pop-R was much better at navigating the patches of weeds and staying in the strike zone.  They didn’t seem to want to chase. 
  10. TRIG trickworm, green magic, worked well – never caught a dink on it, just 1+’s, 
  11. There are 3 boats – one had a lot of stuff in it so I left it be and used the grey plastic one that was for one person.