Saturday, Aug 7th - Salt Lick, Wills Point (chunky bass & fun, unique PWF lake)

Aug 09 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Wife and I fished Salt Lick on Saturday for the first time. It is a fun and unique PWF lake with deeper water and less vegetation than most club lakes presenting the opportunity to try a variety of techniques. The weather was pretty good until around noon with some cloud cover and light to variable breezes and less than 90*F ambient temps. The water temp was 87*F and clear with 7FT viz. There is little vegetation, mostly a ring around the perimeter but with the rapidly dropping lake floor, the weeds are not growing out very far. Pam and I landed 23 bass and 2 bluegill. The bass were all scrappy, healthy 1.8 to 3.0 LB chunks (zero dinks). Most productive lures were a shad patterned deep diving crankbait and a blue fleck C-Rigged curly tail worm in the open water as well as a shad patterned squarebill and a watermelon red T-Rigged curly tail worm in the trees on the eastern end of the lake. The most productive areas for us were the aforementioned trees and the rocky bluffs on the western end. Those treetops are particularly effective at taking away your lures and also we both lost a good bass (and bait) in the trees. Thank you PWF and landowner for another fun option!

Aug 09 2021

Steve Alexander

Admin

Number of Posts :

I beleive I have either fished with a rod or electrofished every lake in the club; except salt lick. Need to make a trip.