Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29369
Property Name : Beaver Lake
Reservation Date : 08/06/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 26 up to 2.65lbs
Lures Used : Spook/Double Fluke

Fished Beaver Lake this fine Friday from 1pm-3pm, then 4pm-8:30pm.  Nothing massive was caught, but did manage quite a few fun topwater fish. Fishes very similair to Bluebonnet. 

1. Water temp was about 90, partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies, but not particularly hot (88ish or under for the most part). Water Vis was high 5ft or so. 
  2. Grass encircles this lake, and there are two minor weedbeds that extend to the middle of the lake, which for a lake with no obvious structure or points,gives you something to throw at.   There is no visible bottom, only milfoil (see map – yellow is the weedbed currently). 
  3. Targeting suspended fish at 6-9 feet above a thermocline off mainlake points is sort of my speciality and go to during the summer (it is the primary patter I work through almost every lake), but wasn’t able to do that here, so I went over top and dropped a weightless double fluke here and there and on every follow up.  Pattern worked well. 
  4. I really tried a frog(s) and I tried to punch, but I’m just so bad at both I guess and wasn’t able to get much done.  I mostly focused on the spaces between the weedbeds and the breaklines with a spook and then followed up missed fish with a double fluke rig.  
  5. Bone Spook color and a green magic fluke were the ticket.  Switch to a black spook by 7:30 – which is something I’ve been doing more and more of as of late with good results. 
  6. I missed 15+ fish easy.  Either they dug in the weeds or hammered the spook and sent it flying into the air (10 feet plus sometimes).  I had one solid 4lb fish that I lost in the weeds about halfway to the boat – tried to keep it up, but to no avail. 
  7. Couple of tips for people who don’t use spooks much – A, varying your cadence is key – figuring out the cadence they want made a world of difference.  Twitch, pause, continuous twitching, and what seemed to work best was long casts, reel in 10 feet straight, then hard twitches, pause, repeat.  Once I figured that out, made life much easier.  B – in a lake with wind, the fish play off the ‘current’.  They are sitting in the top of that grass soaking up that oxygenated water. C – upwind casts based on the fish positions were at leat 75% more effective than downwind casts.  D – watch the postion of the sun relative to the breakline and and waiting for something to float their way while the sun is high. Make sure your spook is going into the break working towards the shade (applies to any bait worked in the upper water column) – just casting at the shde isn’t as effective. 
  8. I’d bring an oar for this lake – really helped to get to spots to get optimaly casting positions. 
  9. I managed to catcha good size turtle on the spook.  Getting the hook out was a pain in the you know what as he hissed a clawed at me.  Broke my hook to boot and I spent 20 min trying to get another dang treble on that spook.