Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29212
Property Name : Pecan Gap
Reservation Date : 07/17/2021 All Day - 07/17/2021 All Day
Total Fish/Sizes : 32 bass, 12 bluegill, up to 6.10lbs
Lures Used : Spook/Swimbait/TRIG/Jerkbait/Spinnerbait

1. Friend and I fished Pecan Gap today – had a solid outing, though it was really a tale of two lakes (wind/no wind).  This report is for Larry who had posed the question in the Discussion Forum re: big swimbaits/big baits generally – I had a helluva a morning using both a Magnum Dawg (walking bait) and a Mega bass 6” swimbait (though I did not have any luck with the big glide bait I’ve used before at PG). 
  2. Conditions: Partly cloudy early into a strong sun, windy early into a waning/non-existent wind, water clarity was 3.5’, water temp was 86-91 by midday. 
  3. Grass line had grown in certain spots and receded in others, but was ample without being overbearing.  Was relatively easy to fish through, over, and along the weedline. 
  4. Almost all of the fish we caught were in 3 spots – timber in the back half of the lake on a TRIG, or off of either the main or secondary hump in the middle of the lake.  If you draw a triangle between the three feeders and add in the main lake hump, that’s where we caught our fish. 
  5. The main lake hump had the larger fish by far.  The secondary hump towards the back feeder had more fish but generally all 1-3lbers along several with 1.5/2.5 year old fish (based on size, eyes, etc – I took a couple pics of a few smaller fish for reference). I lost a monster that threw my jerkbait halfway to the boat.  It was a class above the next largest fish I caught.  Wish I had it on film – that’s my next project. 
  6. I could not get it going on the brush pile in the middle.  I graphed fish there but they weren’t interested in a bevy of offerings. No luck on any of my three frog types – not even a sniff. 
  7. Big baits ruled the day early.  I had 3 great fish in my first 5 casts.  
  8. My biggest fish came on the big swimbait – megabass pearl color with a 4o trokar underspin.  Next 4 best were all over 5 and were on the mega spook/dawg. 
  9. At 10:30 or so, the upper water column bite died off and we switch to cranks/TRIGs with moderate success, but nothing like the morning.  The rest of the day was throwing a variety of softplastics mostly at the middle timber section off the eastern point.  
  10. Around 5pm, the wind died and the fish really turned off.  Since I’m set to fish six-o we packed it up and went home.  Wish the evening had been more promising, but I’m largely at a loss on that lake when the wind dies – I can’t stand glass absent schooling fish generally. 
  11. Observations – A-  there is an insane amount of bluegill – almost too many.  Rapid little dudes.  Picked apart softer soft plastics (e.g googan trenchhawgs) and crushed my jerkbait when I threw it midday.  B – I had a really strong crappie outing my first time here and haven’t seen one since, assumed I would get some on the jerkbait but no dice.  C – I got try my new toy – deeper sonar chirp.  I have a nice map fo the lake now with depths and places of my catches.  Pretty nifty.  I really liked the filters/settings and pairing with my tablet gave a huge screen to work off of.  I was able to get almost 5 hours off it before I had to recharge which wasn’t bad.  I’m really looking forward to using it at some of the larger/deeper lakers (e.g. AA). D – I tried the ‘Ridge Work’ by 6th sense and did pretty well with it. It was used to catch the most recent sharelunker in TX, but I didn’t catch anything over 3lbs on it.  It survived multiple bluefill attacks, so I stuck with it throughout the day if for no other reason.  E – watched a whole thing on wacky worms from BassU the other day – no takers oddly enough, guess I’m still doing it wrong or perhaps the fish were relating to the bottom so much by the time I tried to use it, I wasn’t getting to them.  F – I crushed some big fish on a PopR last time and all I caught were a couple of bluegill on it this time.  G – fish were in MUCH better condition than from the last time I fished here.  All heatlhy and safely returned (except one small bluegill that I tried to use as bait – cause honestly, screw him, that’s what you get for eating a lure your size). 
  12. NOTE TO OWNER – the driver’s seat came off when I tried to sit in it.  Maybe I’m too big (215lbs), I didn’t have  philips to reattach (please don’t take away my man card), but left the bolts near the seat.  Happy to send you a new one though I’m pretty sure it is salvageable.  Your neighbor came by – nice gent and talked to us about his stripper fishing on PK.  Gate had issues but resolved itself (wouldn’t open, but once it dried out, it was fine).