Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29056
Property Name : Deer Trail Ranch
Reservation Date : 07/02/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 24 up to 2.9lbs, 6 large bluegill
Lures Used : jerk bait/flat-sided square bill/various soft plastics

1. Water clarity – 1-1.5feet, heavy stain, water temp was 87, partly cloudy but bright, very little wind; extremely humid.
  2. Noticed a thermocline at 12 feet, which was consistent throughout the deeper parts of the lake;
  3. The area was dead when I arrived and the bite wasn’t great at first – no birds chirping, no sounds of wildlife, no bass popping, very little baitfish movement, no wind, got more lively by midday, when I got most of my bites;
  4. There is a large hump/elevation change holding fish that goes from 16 feet to 11 feet in line with the three white pipes along the damn (horizontal axis) and the mid brushpiles on the Western part of the lake (Vertical axis).  The fish along it held at 9/10 feet which was different from the other parts of the lake.  Saw very few fish more than 20 yards from any given weedline or pile. 
  5. Hit various spots around the lake, but the primary point south of the NE cove and the dam consistently produced by fast twitching a white jerkbait.  a gaudy spinner bait probably would have worked as well but I was getting enough bites on the jerkbait that I didn’t feel the need to switch.
  6. Dark soft plastics produced best as far as plastics went, I didn’t have much in white I could use, but would have if I did.  Swimbait didn’t seam to throw enough water to get noticed.  I got one on a frog, but despite repeated attempts, that was the only bite I got on it and got one blow up on topwater.  
  7. Fish were suspended at 5-7 feet consistently throughout the deeper parts of the lake and didn’t seam to want to chase too much. 
  8. The bluegill intercepted before the bass did on a fair number of occassions.
  9. I took a few pictures, but my phone drained quickly as it was constantly searching for cell service.  Fish were healthy.
  10. A large storm rolled in and with the lightning, I wasn’t able to fish the evening bite, which sucks, but I’ll take this rain this late in the season every week.  
  11. The only odd thing I noticed was about 30 intact, relatively fresh dead baby bass near the dam (undamaged).  Thought it was shad at first, which can be common with bass feeding, etc, but they were pinky sized fingerlings.