Kirk Balsley

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 29058
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 06/29/2021 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 10/ to 3.75
Lures Used : Frog, Senko, Super Spook Jr

I have been on this property, but not the big lake.  Fished the smaller lake starting about 1:30 and caught a 2 ½ pounder right next to the pier.  Took advantage of the shade on the dock.  Worked the bank on foot on each side and no other takers.  When it seemed like the clouds were trying to move in I changed over to the big lake.  Lake is in excellent shape.  Water clear from the grass and level is high.  It was flowing over the small cement overflow.  There is a lot of grass in the lake but to tell you there is plenty of open water to fish.  There are lanes, if you will, to work.  Had some success with a sexy shad popping frog.  Would occasionally pick up a fish on a senko.  It looks so good it’s hard not to try a spinnerbait or a chatterbait.  I tried both of those and did not have success with either which was surprising.  My best luck was the frog or a Super Spook Jr around the edges of grass.  I had a strong TM and battery so I planned to go to the side of the lake nearest the gate.  I had some good cloud cover coming in with storms in the distance so about 3:30 I find myself in the middle of the lake.  In a matter of 2 minutes the lake got hit with what I think is a “gust front”.   Wind was quickly to 20-25 and the TM nor paddle was no match. I was at the mercy of the wind.  Being pushed into large grass beds and trying to free up the prop was not in the plan.  Ended up WAY up the lake.  Finally took it to the bank and waited it out hoping it would pass.  Thank goodness it did and in hindsight I should have thrown out an anchor to possibly stop.  I waded the boat back to waste deep water and worked back down toward the dam. I passed on trying the other side of the lake as it I thought it best to stay close and not take a chance. There were storms off in the distance but this time they were far on the other side of the ranch.   Finally rained but not too bad and I went to the truck to say a prayer and asses the situation.  BTW I do not litter but if someone finds a TX Scottish Rite hat in the lake it’s mine.  It was low priority trying to get it back  :)

After things calmed down I went back out and with a light rain the fishing picked back up.  It was maybe 6 o’clock.  Caught several nice fish on the spook and I think one on a buzzbait.  Stayed till 8:30 and ended up with 10 total and 7 of those were 2.5 to 3.75 so that seemed like a good 1/2 day in my book.  The drive down to the lake was just fine as far as the ground being soft.  Only right near the top by the dip was there any concern.   Eventful day on PWF. One I will not forget!