The matted grass is alive and well - small fish day

May 15 2021

Travis Franklin (Flower Mound)

Fry

Number of Posts :

32 fish – avg 1-1.5 pound. Me and fellow member Mark rolled up about 10:45am. First – just so everyone knows the soil is rocky and it had been pouring rain for the last few days. The road in was easy for a full size truck, just a few spots of water standing about foot or so, and the road to the lake was nice and firm. The day was partly cloudy, high about 80, wind 15 and the water was stained to about 4 feet. Don’t know the surface temp but would guess mid 60s. We had visited earlier this year in March and done really well on chatterbaits in the grass on the bank. This trip the grass near the banks was unfishable except top water. When you could put the chatterbait in front of them in very shallow water they bit it. But it was hard to do and you get about 3 pounds of grass on your hook. They wouldn’t bite anything else we threw in there. We tried weightless Senko – 0 bites. Top water 0 bites. Tokyo rig, Carolina rig, spinner bait, glide bait, flipping jig, TX rig, frog – all zero bites.  Mark caught 2 on a red shad stick back and one on a 2” swim jig. He also caught the first 15 fish to my one until about 4:30, from then until about 6 they turned on and I caught 12-13 in a flurry. The only thing we did to catch fish was just cover a lot of water with a red craw chatterbait sporting a pumpkin green Vile craw trailer and rip it on top of the grass. We probably would have really stunk it up without that bait. Not sure this lake will be fishable after this month. Grass is so thick already. Not sure how we fix that or how you fish it if you don’t. Bulk of the fish came in the windy, shallow end.