Monday, May 10th - Saint Jo - Camp Creek (pretty challenging conditions, decent numbers, and real quality)

May 12 2021

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Took my guest/brother out to Camp Creek on Monday, May 10th under overcast skies, 50-55F, a stretch of rain, and double-digit  NW breezes. We landed 35 bass up to 4.8lbs with several in the 3 ½ to 4 ½ lbs range and maybe 10 or 12 that typically would be harvest fish. Most effective baits were 5in green pumpkin senkos and sight fish 4.8 paddle tail swimbaits. The lake (prior to this week’s rainfall) was a couple of feet low, but closing in on full pull. The water was 69F and completely chocolate milk with literally 2in of viz and there is really no surface or sub-surface vegetation. Monday’s cold front combined with low viz water did put the bass in a funk, but once we kind of figured it out, we had a productive day and I will say that every bite you get could be a really solid chunky 3 to 4 lber.

There were zero bites offshore and zero bites on reaction baits. All catches were very close to the shore on the most finessey presentation – dead-sticking or barely crawling. The NW corner of the dam and basically a horseshoe from there were the most productive areas. But there were a few in the creek and few near the launch site. But I’m sure it’ll be different as weather/water conditions change. I did miss THE bite that I was looking for. Swam right at me and I never got the hook thru the swimbait, but I got a good look at her as she surfaced and spit the bait. Easily 6+ (I think there was a 6lber caught in the early winter).

The location is beautiful and a well maintained gravel road in. The wild horses on property were a really cool centerpiece. As the water warms and clears up – look out for some really good outings on Camp Creek!

May 13 2021

Joshua Massoud

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Nice work Mark – being able to make the adjustments, not get frustrated, and catch bass in less than ideal conditions is really gratifying – kuddos to you – love your reports and the detail – very much appreciated!