Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27402
Property Name : Lakota Lake
Reservation Date : 03/16/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 26 from 1-5 pounds
Lures Used : Deer Hair Frog Fly size 0/2

Lakota Ramble~

A hair before 4 a.m.  French press coffee in a thermos on the kitchen counter. A cherished backpack with a vintage thunderbird blanket thrown in, a ranch jacket, a couple fly rods, and a hardbound book about John Muir’s walk across the southern United States. The cooler gets thrown into the truck. A handheld map of Texas sits on my thighs as I drive. Northbound towards Cleveland, Texas leaving this city behind, with everything ahead. That’s why the rearview mirror is so small, the front windshield wide-glide and all-encompassing. There’ll be no looking back from here, just onwards to water.

Small towns rule. Bear claw, apple fritter, and blueberry cake donut in a small brown bag still warm from being handed through the window at the first authentic homegrown bakery I see. Say no to big corporate chains, yes to local soul. I normally don’t even bother with the fritter, but this spring early morning, after seeing them all beckoning on aluminum racks, why not splurge a little, have a contest between them? Somebody’s got to do it. 3rd place is the fritter, should have known. Second is the blueberry, nice cake body, but the fruit notes are far too high, insistent. Bear claw for the win, by a mile. It comes apart both fleshy tender and with that golden sugar maple crust blooming away. 

First light is everything in life. I live for it. Having traversed a winding dirt road surrounded by trees, I park the truck along the lake in the grass. I take the time to just stand there taking the forest and vibe in, watching the lake for signs of life and hearing the waking birds. Within the first few minutes, I see a kingfisher, chickadees, a wren, cormorants, a snowy egret, blue jays, crows, woodpeckers, and even a cool bird called a banaquit. A pair of bald eagles as big as any I’ve ever seen in Texas fly overhead looking for breakfast, too.

My lawd. If I was able to design the perfect bass lake, here it is. Endless coves, flats, wraparounds, ambush points, ridged bank drop-offs, serpentine shade-drenched skinny channels, timber laydowns, an old dock with walkway, and even the edges of surface dwelling weed beds gently coming a few feet out where fish can loom waiting for meals. Damn. It’s about to go down. Some days, you just know it−you can feel it in your ribs.

I slip the canoe into the water. Nothing feels like this, being immersed to the hips on a lake with no one for miles.  A few tendrils of early morning fog along the banks, sheet glass, not even a faint breeze yet. I start arcing out casts and it feels so good. Fly casting is equal parts meditative and soulful. As for what fly to use, it never ceases to amaze me how much endless bull dookie there is out there about lures. To me, it is simple. Either a baitfish pattern, or a frog. But to be honest, I throw the frog all darn day, and have caught enormous bass on topwater even when it is 98 degrees out in perfect afternoon summer sunlight. It is good to have our own style, do what we want to do, what feels right in life, in the brief time we are here. 

I start picking up fish everywhere you think they would be, and the wicked eats are not for the faint-of-heart. Moments like these I am unaware of anything else in life−awake, present, unconsciously oblivious to the rest of the world. These windows of solitude are so few and fleeting. By late morning, rainclouds pass over and wet us all down, but it doesn’t bother me a bit. I take a break and nap lazily in the back of the pickup truck bed, then wake to see a trio of cormorants flying overhead in the swirl of clouds. Almond butter and organic honey sandwiches on wheat, sea-salt and lime chips and local tomatillo salsa on the tailgate, a frosty Shiner pulled from the cooler…everything tastes sublime out here.

During the afternoon session, coming alongside a tree that has fallen from the bank into the water, I fire the frog right into the dirt at the edge of the lake, and hop it rowdily with a couple slow strips of the fly line….boom. This is by far the best bass of the day. She runs hard, and I can feel her trembling in my hands, thanks to the fly rod being so sensitive. Within a few seconds the pressure lightens up which always tell me a big bass is about to make a jump.  This chunky girl comes out of the water with gills flared, shaking to and fro like a tarpon, and even tail walks for good measure. As she comes alongside the gunwales of the canoe, the frog comes out of her lip just before I can grab her. That’s fine, we both got what we wanted out of the moment. 

Rolling out late in the day after a few more fish and passing rainstorms, I think about things. This Cherokee Viking Texas boy approves of this surreal and mesmerizing Lakota Lake, and is so damn thankful for this day. 

Riverhorse~

Mar 18 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Riverhorse,

Enjoyed your attention to detail! Lakota is a special place, on this we both can agree…………...I see you only have 4 post since 2013? Are we going to see more post like this in the future? Heading to Lakota tomorrow myself. Maybe a Fritter is in my future as well. Good luck on your next adventure and please keep us posted.

Wayne Pruitt

Mar 21 2021

Robert Cauthen

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Wayne Pruitt

Riverhorse,

Enjoyed your attention to detail! Lakota is a special place, on this we both can agree…………...I see you only have 4 post since 2013? Are we going to see more post like this in the future? Heading to Lakota tomorrow myself. Maybe a Fritter is in my future as well. Good luck on your next adventure and please keep us posted.

Wayne Pruitt

Wayne,

How’d you end up doing?

Rob

Mar 22 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Robert Cauthen

Wayne,

How’d you end up doing?

Rob

30 LMB & 3 Crappie for the day largest was 4 ½ pounds…………………...

Mar 22 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

30 LMB & 3 Crappie for the day largest was 4 ½ pounds…………………...

Thanks for the postive words Wayne!

I wish I had time to write fishing posts more often, am usually out running wild or working away on adenture films, magazine pieces, trying to save the world, etc.  Just did a recent undercover piece with the Texas Game Wardens down on the border with boat chases, guns, etc…trying to shine a light on illegal netting and fishing in our gulf.  You can hop on for a read here if that bored, enjoy and hope to see you out there!

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/the-darkest-web/story-95652.html

Riverhorse

Mar 23 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Riverhorse Nakadate

Thanks for the postive words Wayne!

I wish I had time to write fishing posts more often, am usually out running wild or working away on adenture films, magazine pieces, trying to save the world, etc.  Just did a recent undercover piece with the Texas Game Wardens down on the border with boat chases, guns, etc…trying to shine a light on illegal netting and fishing in our gulf.  You can hop on for a read here if that bored, enjoy and hope to see you out there!

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/the-darkest-web/story-95652.html

Riverhorse

Riverhorse,

I read the article. Sad that greed creates such injustice. You are very gifted with words. Your post caught my attention. Now I see why………..

I see you surf and play guitar……...I grew up 7 miles from Port Aransas so I spent lots of my time as a teenager surfing those waves. I am a guitar man as well. Let's meet up on a PWF lake in the not too distant future and enjoy a day of bass fishing. I love to kayak the lakes and it's warming up enough to do so. My brother and I look forward to meeting you.

Wayne

Mar 23 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Riverhorse,

I read the article. Sad that greed creates such injustice. You are very gifted with words. Your post caught my attention. Now I see why………..

I see you surf and play guitar……...I grew up 7 miles from Port Aransas so I spent lots of my time as a teenager surfing those waves. I am a guitar man as well. Let's meet up on a PWF lake in the not too distant future and enjoy a day of bass fishing. I love to kayak the lakes and it's warming up enough to do so. My brother and I look forward to meeting you.

Wayne

Hey now-

Good to hear the words are out there resonating with kindred souls.  Yes, surf and guitar realms, I was a staff assignment writer for Surfing Magazine out of San Clemente California for ten years, and am still working with guitar magazines, fam on an advisory board with Billy G of ZZ Top, and Peter Frampton, fun stuff.  

Looks like you and your brother run full bore, fun to see.  Will catch up somewhere out there for sure, betya.

I think we are doing a virtual club meeting soon to talk about caring for the fish we all love and revere, how to handle them, get hands wet, types of nets or no nets, how long a fish should be out of the water, etc.  Stay tuned!

Search for Patagonia A Northern Light Film if you care to see recent work.  Canoe journey and some fine bass towards the end.  Fighting to keep our wilderness, etc.  A theme of mine.

Take care brutha-

Riverhorse~

May 05 2021

John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Beautiful story sir.  Really enjoyed reading it.

May 05 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hey now-

Good to hear the words are out there resonating with kindred souls.  Yes, surf and guitar realms, I was a staff assignment writer for Surfing Magazine out of San Clemente California for ten years, and am still working with guitar magazines, fam on an advisory board with Billy G of ZZ Top, and Peter Frampton, fun stuff.  

Looks like you and your brother run full bore, fun to see.  Will catch up somewhere out there for sure, betya.

I think we are doing a virtual club meeting soon to talk about caring for the fish we all love and revere, how to handle them, get hands wet, types of nets or no nets, how long a fish should be out of the water, etc.  Stay tuned!

Search for Patagonia A Northern Light Film if you care to see recent work.  Canoe journey and some fine bass towards the end.  Fighting to keep our wilderness, etc.  A theme of mine.

Take care brutha-

Riverhorse~

Riverhorse, I have a story about Billy Gibbons, I had dinner with him one afternoon and we discussed in depth his guitar Gibson Les Paul “Pearly Gates”…………..very interesting conversation. My cell is 713-899-6903…………..give me a call sometime and I will tell you the story if you are interested.

Wayne Pruitt

May 05 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Daniels

Thanks for the postive words, brutha.  Good to hear it took you for a ride.  Wishing you well out there JD-

Riverhorse

May 05 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By John Daniels

Hey now Wayne!  I am friends with Billy G….have had supper, out for tequilas, various guitar hangs and whatnot, he’s come by the house for shenanigans.  Last I heard from him was an email from France at 3 in the morning.  :)

He and I are on an advisory board together, for a guitar magazine, with Peter Frampton and some others…too fun.

www.tonequestreport.com

I have heard a few stories about how Pearly came to be, the old packard sold, the former girflfriend, etc…California….ahahahaha!

Here’s to summertime bass and the days ahead-

Riverhorse~

May 05 2021

Wayne Pruitt

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Hey now Wayne!  I am friends with Billy G….have had supper, out for tequilas, various guitar hangs and whatnot, he’s come by the house for shenanigans.  Last I heard from him was an email from France at 3 in the morning.  :)

He and I are on an advisory board together, for a guitar magazine, with Peter Frampton and some others…too fun.

www.tonequestreport.com

I have heard a few stories about how Pearly came to be, the old packard sold, the former girflfriend, etc…California….ahahahaha!

Here’s to summertime bass and the days ahead-

Riverhorse~

Cool, Guitar Center did a couple of worn model replicas of Pearly Gates and he went into great detail of how that whole thing happened over Mexican Food…………..he was super friendly. His girl friend was there as well. She had some interesting comments about Dusty and Frank……………….I tried to listen and not be too inquisitive. I have a buddy Mark May that use to play with Dickey Betts. He told me some interesting tips that Billy gave him about never wearing silver and gold at the same time, always measure your back line on stage, wear nice boots cause the front row fans are looking at your feet, on and on. LOL.

May 06 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Cool, Guitar Center did a couple of worn model replicas of Pearly Gates and he went into great detail of how that whole thing happened over Mexican Food…………..he was super friendly. His girl friend was there as well. She had some interesting comments about Dusty and Frank……………….I tried to listen and not be too inquisitive. I have a buddy Mark May that use to play with Dickey Betts. He told me some interesting tips that Billy gave him about never wearing silver and gold at the same time, always measure your back line on stage, wear nice boots cause the front row fans are looking at your feet, on and on. LOL.

Ahaha!  I know Mark, did a big story on him for a magazine, have had some laughs together, he can crank it.  We go back a bit.

Take care out there~

May 22 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Ahaha!  I know Mark, did a big story on him for a magazine, have had some laughs together, he can crank it.  We go back a bit.

Take care out there~

I am sure you have heard of the famous “The Wrecking Crew”. I know a neat guy that was a member as well as a lot of non member music studio sessions as a great sessions player of the guitar back in the late 50s, 60s and 70s. His name is Mike Deasy. Helives close to me and girs to jy church. He has stories galore and even was sent go play and record for Charles Manson that just could not cut it and spent time in the system instead. He played for all yhe great stars including Elvis, The Monkies, as well as most music from that era. If ever needing a story, he would be great for his history in the music industry. He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

May 23 2021

Riverhorse Nakadate

Fry

Number of Posts :

Originaly Posted By Dale Stagg

I am sure you have heard of the famous “The Wrecking Crew”. I know a neat guy that was a member as well as a lot of non member music studio sessions as a great sessions player of the guitar back in the late 50s, 60s and 70s. His name is Mike Deasy. Helives close to me and girs to jy church. He has stories galore and even was sent go play and record for Charles Manson that just could not cut it and spent time in the system instead. He played for all yhe great stars including Elvis, The Monkies, as well as most music from that era. If ever needing a story, he would be great for his history in the music industry. He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Dale-

Deasy is the real deal.  Am interested in hearing those stories, can you email me at:  elriverhorse@yahoo

Take care-

Riverhorse

May 24 2021

Dale Stagg

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Dale-

Deasy is the real deal.  Am interested in hearing those stories, can you email me at:  elriverhorse@yahoo

Take care-

Riverhorse

Email sent. Yes, Mike is loaded with history in the music and played a major role in the music of 50s, 60s, and 70s. He was sought out for his talent from most all the stars. Even Glenn Cambell was a studio guitar player bfore going out in his  own. Love hearing the history of that music industry.