Greg Zimmerman

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 27147
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 02/27/2021 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 40
Lures Used : Chatterbait & swimjig

Harrison Papaila and I fished Grapeland, Bennett Lake on 2/27/21.  After the recent winter weather, we did not know what to expect, but our expectations were for colder water than we encountered.  We had blade baits, lipless crankbaits and a variety of other cold water lures rigged, but once we inspected the boat ramp, we saw a bed with two bass and realized that the bass were less impacted by the cold spell than humans.  Once we got on the water, the temperature registered at 56 in the morning, rising to just below 62 at end of day.  The water is very clear at this lake, probably 6 feet or more.  We caught 39 LMB and one black crappie, with 19 LMB and the crappie culled.  The biggest LMB of the day to make it into the boat was 3.88lbs, however, there were a couple larger ones that got off before reaching the net.  Early in the day, I lost a nice fish that was 4+lbs.  As I was maneuvering the fish to the net, we watched another 4+lbs LMB try to take the lure from the hooked fish, then we saw another, another and another.  We estimate the school at six bass, all 4+ lbs, in about 12 feet of water, that came up and followed the hooked bass to the boat.  In the excitement of seeing this school, I stopped reeling and the hooked bass got off.  Unfortunately, we were never able to locate the prespawn schooling female bass again.  We caught buck bass shallow for the rest of the day.  We observed plenty of bluegill bait fish, but if there are (or were) shad in this lake, we did not see any signs of living (or dead) shad.  No bait balls on electronics and no busting shad surface activity.  Frogs were vocal and turtles active. Time to put the cold weather behind us.