Dec 31 2020

Darrell Collier

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26831
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 12/29/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4 / <2lbs.
Lures Used : rat-l-trap, rapala, TX and wacky worms, spinner, shallow bill, roadrunner

My son gave me a trip for Christmas this year, and we chose a rough day to get it in before he started back to school.  Bluebonnet Ridge is a beautiful property, and this was our second visit out there.  We arrived at noon, bank fished the small lake for a few minutes, then took the boat out on the big lake from around 12:30-3:15, then back to the small lake til dark.  Temps were in the 60s all afternoon, but the wind was fairly consistent in the 15-20 MPH range.

We continue to struggle to figure out the large lake...much less moss than our last visit, but still a lot.  We picked up on 1 bass by the dam on a silver rat-l-trap.  I do wish I could figure this lake out...I bet it's awesome in the spring in the shallower west end.  We got blown all over the lake with a strong southerly wind, white-capping much of the time.

The small lake is fun an more manageable for us.  We picked up a small bass on an old bomber shallow crankbait off the dam, one on a weightless wacky pumpkin on the edge of the reeds by the dock, and my son's last cast of the day landed a really nice crappie on a golf rapala, also by the reeds.

We were wind-worn, but we stuck with it and still had a great time.  I finally invested in a small anchor which we used multiple times this trip just to allow me some time off the motor.