Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26390
Property Name : Tara lake
Reservation Date : 11/08/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 0
Lures Used : All - you guys get it.

Similar to the post before mine, when I arrived at Tara (right at dawn) I felt I was about to set the place on fire.  The lake was calm, temp around 58 F, lake was still and I witnessed plenty of early risers as I parked and unpacked the truck.  I decided to work the walkable bank before using the boat as not to scare any lunkers in wait.  Zilch.  I threw top (croaker), tx rig lizards,  chatter and spinner - nada.  I loaded up the john boat and made left to the rock outlays that has been known to produce - nothing happening.  I threw top, lizards, chatter again.  45 min after launch, the wind began to pick up and I began to drift.  For the next 1 1/2 hours me and wind danced on the pond.  I worked the edges, brush piles and mouth of feeder creeks with no luck.  I decided to beach the boat across the lake from launch point (thankfully a lot of bank access) on the "penisula" of the lake due to the wind being too strong.  Again, no production of any sort.  I threw tx rigged worms by the damn and got skunked.  The wind was brutal and I decided to pack up and pull out early.  ****Im up for any advice for these windy days - I think anchor is necessary with these smaller boats - I'd love some tips*****

Nov 11 2020

Dale Pybus

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Steve,

I recommend buying a clamp-on trolling motor and a battery for the wind and yes, an anchor. As far as the mood of the fish - when you find bites hard to get try downsizing your line and lure. If you're throwing and 1/2 oz. bait on 14 lb. line, move to a 1/4 oz. (or smaller) on 6 lb. and try finessing those fish. Sometimes they will commit to a smaller lure when nothing else works.

Good luck to you

And church is always a good idea.

Nov 11 2020

Scott Quigley

Admin

Number of Posts :

Steve,

In addition to the good advice from Dale on wind and bait size, would add that Tara is a bit different from other lakes in the club in terms of forage, there are a lot of gizzard shad there in addition to the normal bluegill forage base.  The gizzard shad can get quite large and stir up the bottom which is why Tara has relatively low clarity.  Next time there, you could try some shad colored crank baits (lipless and square bill) and shad colored swim baits.  I am sure you will have much better luck on your next outing!  

Nov 11 2020

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Steve,

I use the flat bottomed Jon boats at the club lakes and have found a drift sock to be indispensable on windy days. I use several sizes to allow drifting at an acceptable speed and to stop the tendency for the boat to turn in 360's. 

I got mine at Bass Pro several years ago.

Nov 13 2020

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks Dale!

Nov 13 2020

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks Scott - with that in mind, I did really press some noise makers through out the day.  I threw at some top water fish a few times with rattle traps (shad color).  Great advice.  Thanks 

Nov 13 2020

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Excellent - I'll get one

Nov 15 2020

Steve Carpenter

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Steve

There is a discussion about anchors in the July 10th , 2018 forum.

Steve