First time to Trinity Lakes - lots of little ones

Nov 06 2020

Travis Franklin

Fry

Number of Posts :

So this is my first fishing report - bear with me! My buddy Mark and I got to the property about 8:30am. Temp was in the 60s, warmed up to 74 and bluebird skies. We started at Comanche and when we passed Arrowhead on the way in with all the stumps and beautiful water we said to each other "We're not give Comanche very long if it doesn't produce - we're coming right back here." Within an hour and a half at Comanche we had caught 18 between 1-2 pounds. Carolina rigged senko and centipede produced the most fish. I caught fish off the dock on jigs ranging from 1/16th to 1/2 ounce, Mark caught a few on a spinnerbait as well. Seemed like you could catch at least 1 on anything you wanted to throw. At this point we hadn't even launched the boat. About 10:30 we decided to go launch Tubby (10' plastic Pelican) up at Arrowhead. 

Within a few minutes we became disappointed. Grass was so thick most of the bottom appeared to be less than 2-4 feet and crystal clear. The trolling motor struggled in many places to cut through the grass. On bluebird sky days, bass must hiding under that grass because they're not hanging out in 2 feet of crystal clear water in the sun. Evidently, we lack the skill or knowledge to crash through the grass and find them. Within 30 minutes with no bites we loaded back up and got out of there. It's a beautiful lake, just so hard to fish when the sun is high. We then walked the perimeter of Goose Lake all the way to the dam, which was the only deep spot not covered in cabbage. Actually picked up the biggest fish of the day from there, about 2.5 pounds. We only got that one fish between us in about an hour or more.

So we looked at each other and decided to go launch Tubby at Comanche. We ate a sandwich in the shade and launched. The stained water kept producing - we caught 15 more in 2 hours and left about 4pm. They bit zoom lizards, centipedes, green pumpkin jig with craw trailer (around the dock), little white swim jig slow bouncing off the bottom, carolina rigged senko (they wouldn't hit our Texas rigs), spinnerbait, really almost anything you wanted to throw would catch fish. Just rotating around the pond, pulling one or two from every spot until we worked our way around and do it again. We are not sure if there is a big one in there but we tried. Comanche is a great lake for bank fishing as well. You can walk the whole thing and catch fish all the way around. It's a beautiful property and very peaceful for sure.

Nov 07 2020

Steve Scanlon

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great write up Travis!  I had similar experience at Trinity and my fishing partner and I had a great time.  Fun place and Comanche definately produces quantity.  I found my biggest fish (1: 3/12 lb & 1: 2 1/2 lb) in Goose lake, as well.  But threw a fluke from the bank into the grass - not a genius idea as it was a fight to pull the bass to the bank.

Steve 

Nov 07 2020

Travis Franklin

Fry

Number of Posts :

Thanks for the response! We're going to have to get better at grass fishing. I'm consulting YouTube university tonight. We've been away from fishing for awhile and heavy grass is new. To be continued! https://youtu.be/Ily4m8Obc-Q