Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26209
Property Name : Holly Hill Ranch
Reservation Date : 10/29/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 8 bass 2 bream
Lures Used : Flies

Fished the new lake in Quitman yesterday.  Wife looked at me like I was crazy as I was leaving - it was cold, windy and kinda not looking like a great day to go fishing.  I use Bass Forcast a lot and it was predicting a 2.6 "poor" day of fishing.   Well what do they know : )   I managed 8 bass all on flies on a day when I was expecting a likely skunk.  It was 40 degrees when I got there and heated up to 49 when I left.  Had 4 culls and 4 returned plus 2 nice bream.  Nothing really big and nothing super small.  Big fish was likely 2.25.  This is a neat little lake with pretty clear water even after some rain a few days before the trip.  Hardly any visible vegetation and most all of the lake could be fished from the bank if you wish and the bottom is super firm if you wanted to wade a bit.  Caught 3 of the fish pretty shallow on topwater popper flies (surprised me) in some sunken wood by the island on the left side.  The rest were caught out in a little deeper water on wooly buggers and a clouser.

My guess is this lake would give up some pretty good numbers of fish with better weather and better fishing conditions. To me 8 bass on a day like to day was outstanding.   Fished from about 8 to 2 and headed home to thaw out after a chilly but fun day on the water.