Stephen Ford

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26248
Property Name : Sandy's Place
Reservation Date : 10/25/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 9 bass, 1 crappie/tiny up to about 3 lbs
Lures Used : mostly chart./white spinnerbait and white chatterbait

This report might be lengthy and over-detailed, but I know I like reading the detailed reports.  On the newer properties, I figure the more information, the better. 

If you just want the basics - 2.5 hours fished, 9 bass and 1 crappie, 7 small bass harvested, 2 bass returned. largest was right at 3 lbs, all on spinnerbait and chatterbait.  No need to read any further.

I had booked the PM slot and arrived shortly after noon.  The property was easy to get to with just a couple of turns off of 82. (I drove from Melissa.)  It would be easy to find from 377 as well.  This will not be one you want to attempt with a low car or small SUV.  You are basically driving through a pasture to get to the water, but the ground is fairly level considering the hoof tracks. The growth of pasture grass was not too bad.  I drive a Land Cruiser, so it was no issue.  Any SUV or truck with decent ground clearance will be fine.  There is cattle present around which you might have to maneuver slowly.

Knowing I would be walking the bank, I packed minimal tackle in a bag and several rods.  The wind was picking up, and a light mist began to fall as I am getting out of my vehicle.  I knew I probably wouldn't fish too late given the conditions, so I wanted to cover as much water as possible.  I am glad I packed my waders.  They helped with the mud and the thorns/grass around the bank.  (And, yes, there are lots of thorns as you walk farther around the property.)  I grabbed a few rods and walked toward the dam of Sandy figuring there would be a little more depth.  The water near where I parked appeared shallow.  The dam also helped block some of the wind.  The water was a good green color with plenty of visibility for almost any lure presentation.  I immediately caught several small bass on the spinnerbait and one on the chatterbait along the dam.  I did toss a few other options, but I stuck to what was working and covering water.  I can't remember the last time I used a spinnerbait so much.  It has been years, but the conditions were just right for it on this day.  I casted a few times every 20 yards or so walking down the dam catching small bass very close to the bank.  The best surprise was when a 13" crappie bit my chatterbait.  In total I caught 7 bass (only 1 returned) and the crappie at Sandy.  Most were 10-12".

Knowing I was not going to stay too long, I did want to cast a few times to try out Cecil.  The two are literally separated by Cecil's dam.  I walked up the hill with only the spinnerbait rod.  The water at Cecil did not have the visibility of Sandy.  It was a muddier brown color, so my assumption would be the cows might use it a little more.  Plus the wind on the smaller body of water could contribute to that color.  It might not be much different at other times.  With the muddier water and not wanting to mess with changing lures or colors, I slowed down my retrieve and stuck with the chart/white skirt on willow/Colorado tandem.  In about 30 minutes, I caught 2 bass at Cecil.  One was a cull while the other was right at 3 lbs.  I only had my measuring tape (not my scale) in my wader pocket, so that weight is an estimate.  I watched a coyote for a while across the water on the opposite bank.  The mist had turned into a light rain, so I decided to call it a day.  I was also aware of the ground getting wetter, so I did not want to risk anything driving out in the new mud.  It ended up being no problem as I exited about 3:30.

Overall, I think this will be a good property for anyone wanting to catch quantity.  I know I look forward to returning with my 6-year-old son under slightly better weather conditions.  He will enjoy catching the small bass with the potential of something bigger.