Topwater day at Lake TCU!

Oct 23 2020

David May

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 26228
Property Name : Nix Ranch: Lake TCU
Reservation Date : 10/23/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 11 total, 4 dinks, 6 returned and 1 aggressive dinner plate sized bluegill
Lures Used : whopper popper, square bill and beetle spin

Fishing is a confusing activity. Every time I think I have some understanding, the exception occurs. Today the fish were angry but not hungry. 

I fished Lake TCU/Nix Ranch having booked the reservation when I hoped the front would pass thru tonight or Saturday. Wrong. 

I arrived at 7 am to find tremendous thunderstorms and a howling south wind that rapidly shifted to a 20-22 mph north wind as the front passed. I sat in the truck until 9:00 am or so, then, as the lightening abated, "ventured forth" in the face of the north wind in spite of the sage advice we all know.  As has been noted in prior reports, there is a good bit of vegetation over most of the pond at a depth of 6-24 inches below the surface. the wind none the less forcing me to the shallow, southern end where I hoped to at least avoid being skunked. 

All I could cast into the wind was a Whopper Plopper, a jig and a T-rigged worm. To my amazement, the Whopper Plopper was hit all day, even amid the white caps and spray! Nothing on plastics at all. 

As I worked up the east and west banks, the only other lure that worked was a beetle spin with a white grub on finesse tackle. A single dink was harvested on a square bill. 

All fish were taken within 15 feet of the bank.

Water temp was 75, clarity (away from the bank) was 24-36 inches but the shoreline battered by the waves became muddy by noon. I did not even try to use the club boat. 

This is an outstanding property, the pond just over 12 acres and "manicured" is the best word to describe the shoreline.