Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25521
Property Name : Bennett Lake
Reservation Date : 08/12/2020 AM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 19
Lures Used : plastics, chatterbait, topwater,

Fellow member John Shepard and I ran up to Bennett yesterday morning hoping to catch a good topwater morning bite. We arrived at 6:20 am and first observation was the water level was down about a foot from my previous trip back in May and the vegetation mats were more prominent than before. John did pretty good with a popR catching 7 in about an hour on the shallow end around the matted vegetation but i could not get bit on anything i tried. We moved from the shallow end towards the big point across from the boat ramp throwing top water, weightless plastics and spinnerbaits but no takers. The dam produced a few on shakey head and drop shot. We moved around to other spots that we had caught fish on previous trips this time the year but it was hard to catch more than couple on one spot before moving on to the next. We were thinking they might start schooling like they did this time last year but it never happened. We left at noon with the thought we just have to accept that they were shelter in place and not hungry. We ended the day with 19 total culling 3, biggest was a real skinny 4.9 lber. Another observation was there was no chasing of bait that we normally see in the middle of the lake and even the dragon flys hovering over the vegetation around the edges was minimal, very unusual. John commented that the water was clearer than his bathwater, I said he should consider a shower instead. 

Aug 14 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Ron,

I saw two otters in there last Nov 2019.  They were chasing schooling fish out in the middle near the dam, and bringing them in to the big SW point to eat them. It looked like mostly smaller fish and crappie. They were not at all afraid of us.  I hope they have not eaten all of the bass.

Aug 14 2020

Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Thats pretty cool, i have not seen the otters there. One of my very first rips there is saw an alligator snapping turtle, dude was huge. We also saw the aftermath of where some wild hogs had rooted around to the left of the boat ramp last year and on the way in the other morning there was a dead hog in the middle the dirt road not far from the gate. When we left at noon the damn thing was gone, made for a good breakfast for something.

I will be back there latter when it cools down. They need some heavy rains in that area.

Aug 14 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Yes, I was out there early this year in Feb and did not see them either.   I did see a man and his son driving atv around in hunting gear.  Maybe he shot the pigs and the otters. Hopefully.

Aug 14 2020

Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

possible i guess.

If you are interested maybe we can meet up some time on the lake and compare notes. Do you fish out of the on site boat or your own?

Aug 14 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

I use my own 17 ft bass boat where I can.  I have livescope on it and that comes in very handy for finding the schools of shad, bass and crappie. 

Aug 14 2020

Ron Dupree

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Very nice, let me know if you are interested in meeting on the lake sometime, John and i can use the site boat and share information, this is one of our favorites.