Chris Harper

Fry

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 25192
Property Name : Bluebonnet Ridge
Reservation Date : 07/11/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 15 - 1 dink 4 ea 2#'s 10 - 3 to 5 #'s
Lures Used : Chatterbait, 10" worm, senko

Saturday the 11th was my first time to fish this water, but my 2nd time to the location. I planed to be on the water by 6:15 am but didn't wake up until just before 6:00, so I panicked and jumped in the car that I luckily loaded up the night before. 1st mistake is I forgot my anchor. An anchor would have saved me some grief and a lot of time that I wasted having to get back on my spot. A few days before my trip, I spooled my reels with 65 lb braid and put the reels on my heavier action rods to battle the grass. We will mark that in the good column, but in the bad column is I was not out at first light and rushed to be on the water just before 7:00 am. But in my hast, I didn't tune my reels and backlashed two of my four reels like I haven't done in 15 years. They were good ones. One I was able to pick out after about 15 mins, but the second I had to cut out later in the day. So I launched went right towards the corner I made three casts in the 1st 30 minutes, and two reels require attention. Oh, yeah, did I mention I bought some Whopper Ploppers for this trip? I have been a holdout, but it sounds like this location is worth the investment. I tied the whopper plopper on another reel after hand rolling in the line. We all have done that right.

Ok I settle down a little and fish along the dam I did get a couple of blow-ups but no hookups. So it's about 9:30 am, and I tie on a chatterbait white and silver with a River2Sea D-walker 100 Pb/Red trailer and a 10" zoom ole monster Plum Apple texas rigged. Let's put this in the good column. It took me a little while to eliminate water. I finally started having success about 150 to 200 yards out from the island that lines up with the shop and the boat launch and caught six fish in the 3 to 3 1/2 lb range it was about 12:15. I was out of cold drinks, so I went over to the other tank to give it a try and search for some shade. I did catch 2 nice ones off the pier.

I took a break for a few hours, grabbed a burger but was back on the Blue Bonnet around 3:45 pm, and I went straight to the little island over the next 3 hours I caught 6 in the 2 to 3 # range. Ok, here is the Bad in about 12 casts I hooked three different fish, and each one of them would have been the biggest of the day. Each one fought like crazy and jumped and spit the bit. The heavy action rods were great for ripping the chatterbait out of the grass but not so good for keeping bigger fish pinned. It was about 8:00 pm at this time. I drank everything I brought with me and was almost sun stroked, so that is how I ended. Some great and some not so great moments, but in time it will be a very fond memory. I am ready to do it again next weekend maybe it will be 5 or 10 degrees hotter.

PS. I gave up on senkos after the 5th one got bitten in half with no hook-ups. I have never had that happen before

YITB,

Chris