Slow day at Hat & Star

Jun 23 2020

Keith Barfield

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24979
Property Name : Hat and Star Ranch
Reservation Date : 06/21/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 4 with 2 harvested / 1 - 2.5 lbs.
Lures Used : Soft plastics, top waters, & chatterbaits

The forecasted rains avoided East Texas and hit DFW instead, so I was glad I made my second trip here. Cloudy overcast skies and calm winds set up for good prospects on the stained water. Fished from 8 to 6:30 with an hour break for lunch.

A top water arsenal of assorted frogs, poppers and walking baits ready to start the day was all for naught. No bites on top waters or swim baits.  Caught four and released two on chatter baits, jig and Tx R senko.

After beating the banks and timber a full trip around the lake with limited success, I decided to fish deeper water in the afternoon fishing crank baits & jigs. That pattern did not work either.  I know the big ones are in there, just have to come up with a better game plan on the next trip.

I noticed the entire perimeter has been cleared of brush making it possible to bank fish from much of the shoreline.  I may try that next time taking a break on the boat.  I heard Jimmy Houston caught an 11.2 bank fishing last week.

Convenient launch area,  beautiful property, and good boat made for another fabulous PWF experience. Thanks again for the opportunity!