Big Open Slow Close

Jun 03 2020

Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Fished Bluebonnet with fellow member Paul Prosser this morning.  We opted to fish Mesquite instead of the big lake as we didn't want to fight all the vegetation (but I'm guessing the fight is worth it from other reports and it sure looks fishy). The water at Mesquite is very clear with lots of subsurface vegetation but the whole lake is very fishable.   I got there early to get on the early top water bite just as it was getting light and it was worth it.  From about 5:50 am until 8:00 am I landed 14 bass on the fly rod with a single deer hair frog popper.  Nothing huge but lots of solid two pound fish with the largest pushing 3 pounds +/-  (maybe 4 dinks in the bunch) It was the best morning of top water fishing I can remember having on the fly rod.  After that pretty much nada - a few more bass and a couple of small bream from 8:00 a.m. until noon.  There was good cloud cover until about 8 and after that the sun came out and it was a beautiful day but the bass weren't in the mood for a picnic after breakfast.  Caught most the bass along the edges of the weed line and to the left of the dock in the middle and sides of the "creek" close to where it opens up into the main lake.  We stopped in Bristol for some grade A  cheeseburgers and all in all it made for a great morning.  

Jun 03 2020

Paul Prosser

Fry

Number of Posts :

Kevin was very kind to refrain from mentioning that his fishing partner caught ZIP!!!  I fished from the jon for an hour or so but started and ended fishing from the dock.  Used topwaters mostly but slung a few subsurface baitfish at the end.  Got some nice strikes but no takes.  Lake was mirror-smooth until around 10 am when the breeze kicked up.   No sushi but the cheeseburgers were great!!