Decent Day on Rough Creek w/ Awesome Lunch

May 29 2020

Ken Addington

Fry

Number of Posts :

We arrived at Rough Creek Lodge at 11 am and had lunch before we hit the water.  The staff was as attentive as always and took very good care of us.  We ordered a couple of the appetizers before our meals came.  Food is as good as ever.  They have the same Exec Chef, Gerard Thompson, as the day they opened in 1998.  He came to our table and greeted us. 

We put my 21 fiberglass boat in the lake on their makeshift ramp with no problem.   Got on the water at 12:30 pm. 

It was overcast so we started throwing hollow body frogs at the abundant grass on the shoreline and quickly had 3 strikes.  Only one hookup on a nice 2# fish.  My partner had a WM Senko tied on and caught a couple fish on it as we worked down the edge of the grass.  One of them was 3# or better. 

We tried buzz baits for a while over some of the grass that was not up to the surface.  Never had a bite.  There is a mixture of coontail moss and some kind of green slimy stuff on top of the coontail that gets all over anything you throw and can be very irritating to pick off your lures.  It is so thick in places it completely stopped the prop on my 112# thrust trolling motor.  That stuff makes this lake a bit challenging to fish due to the time you spend picking it off your lures.      

We worked down to the dam and my partner started throwing a weightless white Zoom Fluke.  He started catching fish so I rigged one up as well.   As we worked down the shoreline opposite the lodge we caught fish steadily on the Flukes.  The sun kept popping thru the clouds so we would have periods of bright sun then back to overcast.  There was a light 5-10 mph breeze from the north. 

We got back to the place on the lake where the two big creek split and decided to try some deep water.  My buddy tied on a 5XD crankbait and a T-rigged plastic worm.  Using the graph on my boat I located where the two main creeks split.  It is a long cast off the dock.  There are several very large stumps sitting on the edge of the creek but the lake is about 2' high so you cannot see them until you are on top of them. 

We came upon one big log laying across the creek that had a 2.5# male still guarding a nest he had built on top of the log.  Mike caught him first pitch on his Senko.  The water is still very clear with 6+ feet of visibility in most places due to the abundance of grass. I was throwing a WM Zoom Mag 2 worm on a Tx rig with a 1/4 oz weight. 

We caught several fish out of the creek channel itself.  Mike got 2 on the 5XD.   Most of the fish were cookie cutter 2-2.5# fish that were pretty healthy.  We stopped fishing at 6 pm. 

We ended with 2 on the crankbait, 6 on a T-rigged worm, 1 on a frog, 2 on a Senko, and the rest on the Fluke fished pretty fast near the bank.  Total was 24 fish with the largest between 3.5 to 4 pounds.  This trip was not as good as my last trip here numbers wise but my last trip was earlier in the year in late-April I believe.