Kevin Fuller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24578
Property Name : Rough Creek Lodge
Reservation Date : 05/27/2020 All Day -
Total Fish/Sizes : 48 bass up to 2.5 - one snake
Lures Used : Senko/Swimbaits/Flies

My son Cody and I fished Rough Creek today from about 6:30 am until 5.  It was a really fun day on the water.  The lake is full and clear with a managable amount of vegetation and lilly pads.  We ended up with 48 bass (36 for the kid and 12 for the old man off the fly rod).  Today the senko was the hot bait for Cody but he caught a few with a swimbait and ned rig as well. I caught my bass with a top water frog popper, gamechangers and clousers.   It was a fish buffet today - we caught lots of bass but nothing over about 2.5 pounds or so.  We also caught bushels of really big bream and crappie.  We caught dozens of big ol bream fishing with 3 and 5 weight fly rods using little poppers and wooly buggers off the big dock at the lodge.  We got chased off the lake by a storm squall for about an hour and to pass the time we started throwing little poppers for the bream (bluegills, green sunfish, hybrids)(see pics below) - we were like a couple of little kids and just couldn't stop.  We also caught a few dozen crappie - mostly off the fly rod but Cody caught a bunch using a little white jig and a ned rig.  

Lastly I caught my first snake on the fly rod - sort of.  Actually I caught a normal sized bream and the snake attacked the bream and latched on - counts though right?  Fortunately for me the fly eventually came unbuttoned from the bream and the snake swam off with the bream still in its jaws. Really bad day for the bream...see pics below

It was a fun day at a great lake.  This place has given up some pretty big bass in the past but today it was numbers and variety.  We were hoping to somehow catch a catfish and call it a freshwater super slam (with the snake). 

May 28 2020

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Snakes and paddle boarding….no thanks!!

May 28 2020

Chris Haller

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Snakes and paddle boarding….no thanks!!  Sounds like a productive day.  

May 29 2020

Ken Addington

Fry

Number of Posts :

Great report!  Cool pic of the snake too!