Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Reservation Number : 24588
Property Name : Oak Meadow Lake
Reservation Date : 05/24/2020 PM -
Total Fish/Sizes : 45 landed, 23 released, 16 culls, 6 crappie
Lures Used : flukes, senko anything weedless

YES! This bass was 12.4 centimeters long (4.88 inches), caught on a 5.00 inch white + chartreuse fluke.  It weighed 23 grams which is precisely is 0.0507063 lbs. This is my personal best on a 3/0 worm hook. I’m not sure if this Monster was trying to eat the fluke or just be good mates? This Beauty was released gently after photos and careful measurement.

On a more serious note, the grass at Tushka Oak Meadows is tough at the moment. About 30% of the lake is un-fishable. Bring a couple of oars or a push pole or you will not get off shore. The grass extends out to water depth of 8 ft depth. In some places it extends 100+ ft from shore.  I don’t know the name of this grass, but just a few strands will shut down a 55lb troller instantly.   I spent much of the day de-mossing the troller.  This grass shuts down lures as well, only weedless and weightless soft plastics will work right now.  If you get a hookup and it dives anywhere near the grass, forget it, that one got away. I lost a dozen+ nice ones, on a weedless popper frog.  

That said, we still had a great trip.  Sam brought his 11 YO cousin, and she caught as many as anyone just letting her weightless fluke drift along. She would say “Something is pulling” and reel up 1-2.5lb bass and crappie. You really had to stay far out on the grass edge.  Unfortunately, I forgot to charge my phone so we only got a couple of pics.

We landed 45 fish total, 23 bass released at 1.5-2.5 lbs, 16 bass culls removed below 14”, and 6 keeper crappie. Lost many in the grass.

The owner has cleared some timber recently, nice improvement. This is a very nice pond and great property with crystal clear water and hungry fish.  Just be prepared for the grass at this time of year. 

Culls for the fryer:

May 26 2020

Mark Daugherty

Keeper

Number of Posts :

Congrats on the 12.4 PB Jim! What a beauty! So cute too. Thanks for sharing and bringing a smile.

Mark

May 26 2020

Jim Bennett

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Thanks Mark, I am reeling from the experience.  The best part was the kids laughing hilariously.

May 28 2020

John Daniels

Fingerling

Number of Posts :

Great report.  Thank you and congratulations on the PB.

Jun 04 2020

Chris Casner

Slot Fish

Number of Posts :

Made me laugh, good ome.