Fabulous day at Covington Trinity Lakes!

May 06 2020

Larry Maupin

Keeper

Number of Posts :

I had the distinct honor and pleasure of fishing Trinity Lakes Saturday. The weather was mild but windy all day - high near 80°. After crossing the dam to the Arrowhead Lake launch site, I was able to maneuver my trailer down and launch my small boat easily using the newly developed launch site there. A club boat is there for members to use.

We took off at dawn and were "on the fish" immediately. My buddy Andy was three fish in before I caught my first. All were very healthy looking and great fighters. There were some small inlets and pockets we fished and found fish everywhere. We drifted through the standing timber and caught fish, well Andy did. The lake is full of moss but wasn't covering the surface yet. The strong southerly winds were wearing me down so we tucked up under the dam at the south end. Good thing we did. I caught my first topwater bass of the year there, a 4.25 pounder.

This was the largest fish of the day. Arrowhead gave up 15 bass and one bluegill in 2 hours of fishing. 

We didn't fish Goose lake which is "a carbon copy of Arrowhead Lake." Drove about a mile to the other gate and easily navigated the mowed path to the lake. We learned about what is believed to be a Comanche Marker Tree on the property - it's on your left as you approach the lake.

Comanche is quite nice, with a pier, great launch area, and a grove of old oaks that makes a great spot to relax or have lunch. We launched easily and fished from the boat some. We caught fish immediately between the pier and the dam. Got lots of bluegill taps and quite a few small bass. All were in the 12 - 16 inch range, but all were scrappy and healthy and fun to catch. After lunch we walked the shoreline and continued catching fish.

Met the owners, Lori and Kenny - wonderful friendly folks who love their property and want PWF members to have a great experience at their beautiful property. We certainly did.

All in all, we caught 52 bass and one bluegill. Almost all were caught near the shore - 10-20 feet out. Bass ranged from one 10 incher up to my 4.25 pounder caught on a Pompadeur Jr topwater. We caught more at Comanche but the average bass size was somewhat larger at Arrowhead. Most were caught on shad colored Senkos, some on Super Flukes and a silver Rattletrap. So there are lots of bass there and they are hungry! As the years go by I expect this property will get better and better with larger bass. One thing is sure, whether or not you have a fabulous day fishing, the property and facilities are excellent. Easy access, beautiful property and hungry bass - what more would you want?